Strange losses to a predator

My first chickens I had at the where I live now, (Australorps) 30 years ago, I had 4 hens fenced in and a small coop. One day I went out to my coop, and 3 hens were dead and neatly lined along the fence that faced a road. (The hens were unchewed) I think what happened was a dog (Maybe a hunting dog) and his owner would walk by our fence, on a walk, and the dog got ideas. He hunted my hens, and then lined them up by the fence so the owner could see what a good dog he was.

My first chickens I had at the where I live now, (Australorps) 30 years ago, I had 4 hens fenced in and a small coop. One day I went out to my coop, and 3 hens were dead and neatly lined along the fence that faced a road. (The hens were unchewed) I think what happened was a dog (Maybe a hunting dog) and his owner would walk by our fence, on a walk, and the dog got ideas. He hunted my hens, and then lined them up by the fence so the owner could see what a good dog he was.
Reminds me of Hermione, a Border Collie we had several years ago. While I kept my chickens confined, a neighbor would not confine hers for any reason. And the chickens would migrate over to our place more often than not. Over about a week's time, Hermione, brought me about a dozen chickens. Amazingly, she did not kill or even injure them. I think she thought I would be pleased with her for bringing me more chickens to add to my collection. Even she understood about chicken math. ;)

Minks and weasels will line them up in a row after they kill them.

I was at our local post office this morning picking up some chicks from Greenfire Farms and the lady that works there told me that she had lost her four hens and a rooster to an unknown predator this week. She then showed me photos of the crime scene. There were three birds inside the coop and two that were covered in dirt just outside the coop. According to her, all five birds were left intact with no obvious signs of wounds and no feather loss. She was at a loss for words because whatever it was had torn off her roughly 4' by 2' egg collection door from its hinges and gained access to the coop there. Based on my review of all her photos, I could see no other damage to the coop. Since she lives adjacent to a river my first thought was a mink since all the birds were killed. And it would take a strong animal to rip the door off the side of the coop from its hinges. Has anyone had a similar experience(s)? Thanks for any input that you may have.
If the latches and hinges weren't properly secured it might be easy to rip the door off the nest boxes but few predators would go to so much trouble to kill them all then walk away.

Back
Top Bottom