Strange muscovy drake behaviour

Well, after much observation, I think I've discovered why my drake is doing what he's doing. I was watching my flock this morning after letting them out and setting out their food and water, etc.

It would seem that all the males' "equipment" would randomly pop out and then go back in, well the one drake in question was trying to catch it, making the same motions I observed earlier, but it would go back in when he would almost get it. He's in for quite a surprise if he does!
lau.gif

Is this a normal thing for drakes, they weren't interested in the females at all during this. They are just over 6 months old.
I have had drakes for almost 9 yrs and can't say I have ever seen that behavior when my drake was doing it he was putting his head over his tail feathers not under them,.not like he was using his oil gland though because he never actually touched his body, he would go on one side and then the other, almost like I expected him to start chasing his tail but he never did. very interesting though.

The thing is, only that one drake was acting that way, the other three could care less. Very strange.
I understand same here, I have never seen my older drake almost 9 or my youngest almost 1 yr. just this one drake who will be 2 in June, he was a little over a year when i noticed him doing it. Something must have been bothering him and he just wasn't sure what it was,.

Back
Top Bottom