Strange noises...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schoman, Aug 24, 2010.

1. schoman

schoman New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Hi there. I'm pretty new to backyard chicken raising, but I have three (seemingly healthy) Americauna hens in my backyard. They are about four and a half months old and I raised them from week one. Dusty has started laying already, but my question is about Peaches. She makes a really strange hissing/growling noise, usually when she first sees me. It doesn't seem aggressive or scary, but I can't figure out if it's normal or what. It's a kind of raspy, drawn out noise that lasts for a second or two at a time. As if she's saying "hhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy". It's the kind of noise I would expect from a chicken who's had a long time smoking habit.

Anyways, I searched the forums a bit but am not convinced that it's perfectly normal. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

2. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Totally normal. [​IMG]
    Not completely sure what sound you mean, but some of my hens make that kind of sound when I disturb them while they're sitting on eggs. Just them trying to be intimidating....they usually only do it when I surprise them. The roosters also make a similar sound, either when they see a hawk, or when something is surprising or looks like a threat. They do it sometimes just when another chicken flaps or shakes. Seems to be something the more 'flighty' 'nervy' hens do....she's probably just surprised or feels threatened by you.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I agree that's it's probably normal. My hens make all kinds of noises at me, ranging from gurgling, to honking, to growling-type noises. They're just telling you about their day![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by