Strange object (egg part?) in nest box

I did cut it open. My Vet is out until next Wednesday, for the long Holiday weekend, and she’s the only one who specializes in chickens. I went ahead and cut open the thing from yesterday, and it is definitely more than just an egg membrane. The 2 new photos show it has mass and is thicker than an egg ‘membrane.’ It felt almost muscular, like meat tissue. The 3rd photo is an empty egg membrane found in the coop this a.m.
Obviously, this does not look good for my sweet girl, Aubrey. :( I’ll know more after our Vet visit next week. Thanks all you BYC folks, for your concern and feedback.

Attachments

• A2F7A435-125C-443D-B168-2EE3A51D6EE8.jpeg
    A2F7A435-125C-443D-B168-2EE3A51D6EE8.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 19
  • CD922E41-D9B0-4F68-A648-CE194854E455.jpeg
    CD922E41-D9B0-4F68-A648-CE194854E455.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 19
  • C4C0187E-0B0C-4553-977B-C25C02F0D647.jpeg
    C4C0187E-0B0C-4553-977B-C25C02F0D647.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I went ahead and cut open the thing from yesterday, and it is definitely more than just an egg membrane. The 2 new photos show it has mass and is thicker than an egg ‘membrane.’
Thanks for the extra pics.... Yeah, sorry, does not look good.
Save that stuff for your vet to look at...will be curious as to what she has to say.
You're sure it came from Audrey...how old is she?

Thanks for the extra pics.... Yeah, sorry, does not look good.
Save that stuff for your vet to look at...will be curious as to what she has to say.
You're sure it came from Audrey...how old is she?

Yes, I'm sure it came from Aubrey, based on her position in the roost-coop at night. I think she's almost 4 yrs old. We inherited her when we moved into our property.
Before her illness last year (ovary issue), she was my best layer, almost every day. So sweet and friendly (she's in my profile pic w/ me).

Yes, I'm sure it came from Aubrey, based on her position in the roost-coop at night. I think she's almost 4 yrs old. We inherited her when we moved into our property.
Before her illness last year (ovary issue), she was my best layer, almost every day. So sweet and friendly (she's in my profile pic w/ me).
Marcy,
I'm so sorry this is happening. Aubrey looks like a sweet little thing. A lot of these highly prolific layers succumb to reproductive issues that ultimately are their demise. I fear the only thing you can do is to keep her comfortable until you feel her quality of life has dropped to the point you need to let her go.
Part of keeping her comfortable may be a course of antibiotics as the lash egg she passed is a sign of internal infection. I hope the vet has better news though. Good luck.

Marcy,
I'm so sorry this is happening. Aubrey looks like a sweet little thing. A lot of these highly prolific layers succumb to reproductive issues that ultimately are their demise. I fear the only thing you can do is to keep her comfortable until you feel her quality of life has dropped to the point you need to let her go.
Part of keeping her comfortable may be a course of antibiotics as the lash egg she passed is a sign of internal infection. I hope the vet has better news though. Good luck.

Thank you, DobieLover.

Back
Top Bottom