Strange object in nest

millerchix

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
15C816EC-2A12-4F05-9E09-EA07A688B7D7.jpeg
I went out to collect eggs and came across this strange thing in the nesting box. Did this come out of one of my hens?

It is a lash egg. One of your hens has an infection in her reproductive tract. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do at this point. I would watch them carefully for any sign of illness.

If you can figure out which hen laid the lash egg, keep an eye on her. They usually separate from the rest of the flock and hide away so they won't get bothered, they become inactive and don't eat much. Their poop is runny and yellowish. I recently had a hen that I suspected had laid 2 lash eggs within several months (almost a year). She became ill and I placed her in a big cage in a room completely separated from the rest of my flock, she spent almost a week in this room, I gave her lots of TLC but I decided that she was not going to get better and I didn't want her to get worse and suffer. I made the hard decision to euthanize her. This is a very private decision to be made and everybody has their own ideas regarding this issue. You do what you think is best for your hen and follow your heart.

Back
Top Bottom