Strange Pattern On Egg!

I understand that point of view. If it isn't a real crack, bacteria shouldn't get into it.
One thing you can do is wash the egg in water about 20F warmer than the egg and then paint some liquid bandage over the possible crack. The warm water wash causes the contents to expand which forces any potential bacteria out of the pores. If it is a real crack, the warm water wash will cause the crack to widen. Then the liquid bandage not only seals it but also has antiseptic properties. I once dropped an egg and shattered it over about 60% of the egg about a week into incubation. I sealed it with liquid bandage and successfully hatched a chick out of it. I was afraid the bandage wouldn't allow the chick to break free but when I woke up in the morning it was out and running around.
I remove leakers and stinkers, otherwise I haven't had any problem with exploders.

Last edited:
I have a hen that consistently (unfortunately) lays eggs like this. They are cracks. They tend to be thin/weak shells in general. I feel they are still relatively safe to eat (thoroughly cook), but I don't think I'd incubate one. It's like the shell is cracked but the membrane is in tact.

Back
Top Bottom