Strange Pattern On Egg!

Fur-N-Fowl

Fluffy Dinosaur Breeder
May 25, 2019
UK
Hello Everyone!
:frow

So, it's either my partridge Silkie that's laid a bigger egg than normal or this egg came from one of my point of lay Silkie pullets.

I picked up this egg out of the coop around 2 hours ago and popped it into my egg box to store for incubation. I went back to mark them and noticed this vein like pattern on the outside of the egg (wide end).

I thought...ooo that's strange and decided to candle it even though it's never been incubated yet. It was 100% laid today.

The light showed it up even more with a darker circle under it.

I was thinking a hairline crack but the pattern is still pretty strange and nothing has leaked out of the egg, neither can I feel a crack.

I won't be incubating it just incase but I still wanted to share it!

Have you guys had a pattern like this on any of your chickens eggs?

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

Interesting!

So it is possible a layer under the very top of the egg had some form of crack before it was laid and then a coating went over the top? I'm not sure how it works entirely!
What probably happened is the shell cracked early on in the shell gland while it was being formed but was in the gland long enough for additional calcium to be deposited over it to "heal" the crack, much like a bone fracture.

ETA: @aart and I were typing at the same time.

Cracks can form anytime during shelling, then they are 'healed' or 'repaired' by the application of more calcium.

What probably happened is the shell cracked early on in the shell gland while it was being formed but was in the gland long enough for additional calcium to be deposited over it to "heal" the crack, much like a bone fracture.

Oh right!

Thankyou both, that's pretty interesting then. Well apart from the fact I'm one egg down for incubating!

I think in the industry they call that a body checked egg.
I wouldn't let that stop me from incubating if I wanted a chick from that hen.

Oh I'll have to have a look into that, it's the first time I've ever gotten one like this.

As for incubating it, I would but my worry would be it having a higher chance of exploding in the incubator and ruining my batch. I mean, I do have plenty of other eggs so I'm not at a total loss, plus it will be edible!

Back
Top Bottom