Strange patterns of missing feathers

Optimus Pollo

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 7, 2013
One of my girls has been looking roughed up the last week and tonight she is missing a lot of feathers, primarily as seen on her wings and also on her back at the base of her tail. These patterns make me think its the roosters causing it but none of my other hens are nearly so beat up.

Are the roosters the likely cause? The other hens? A predator is unlikely but not impossible...suggestions please!

A few details about my set-up:
- 2 roosters, 37 hens
- Free range over .5 acres, with 9' high fencing (6' wire with 3' bird netting at the top to keep them in)
- 12 lay boxes but infinate additional options for them to lay other places (they just all want the same boxes...)
1000013952.jpg
1000013954.jpg
1000013953.jpg

She just turned 1 year old. None of my other birds look at all the same. Would they normally all molt at the same time?
They usually molt around this time of year, but not always all together. I have a 4 year old Easter Egger who has never molted. Chickens can keep you guessing. :D What kind of feed do you give them?

They usually molt around this time of year, but not always all together. I have a 4 year old Easter Egger who has never molted. Chickens can keep you guessing. :D What kind of feed do you give them?
Whatever cheap 16% layer feed is on sale. I suppose I should increase their protein content for a bit.

Also, in the 2 days since my post, she has dropped almost 70% of her feathers. Is it normal to lose so many so suddenly?

Whatever cheap 16% layer feed is on sale. I suppose I should increase their protein content for a bit.

Also, in the 2 days since my post, she has dropped almost 70% of her feathers. Is it normal to lose so many so suddenly?
Can you get another picture of her? I would definitely up her protein for a while.

Back
Top Bottom