Strange Poo (pics)

Quote:
She's definitely right.
smile.png

I'd also be sure to give some form of probiotics to them a) because worming is slightly stressful, and b) just in case this was something else.

Looking at it, I wonder if it's possible for hens to ever drop any of their own ova down early - "baby" yolks. Is that possible?

So, two weeks withdrawal on the wazine, what about the Ivomac?
I ordered a bunch of stuff awhile ago for my chickens except for the Ivomac. What is everyone using for probiotics, I don't see anything in what I have that would work for that, so I might as well order some in.

This is not good as this is my flock of 45 layers and one roo. My customers will not be happy with the wait for eggs,but I am sure they will understand, hopefully. And of course, they are all laying wonderfully right now.

Last edited:
What is everyone using for probiotics

I use plain unflavored yogurt for probiotics. My chickens love yogurt! Otherwise there is Acidophilus (in the vitamin isle) or there is Probios at the feed store.​

Last edited:
I use Chicken Powder from I think t it was Jeffers or something .. cant be sure anymore.But its a powder that you sprinkle for 3 days on the food and you are done with it. It has all the stuff in it a chicken needs and then some.

As to the stuff in the poo.. not sure but I would venture some kind of berry seed, or some bug eggs maybe? Or someone feed them something ? It could be wor, eggs but those thinsg are a bit big top be worm eggs I think

Well think about it this way - they're a lot less likely to see a worm in the egg.
smile.png

Probiotics, I use yogurt - plain - because it's inexpensive and has L. acidophilis in it. That bacteria for sure colonizes the gut. My birds go nuts for it. I also like Probios dispersible powder as it's economical at 1/4t per serving and lasts in the fridge. Also has a nice range of bacteria. Our small bottles here cost $8.

As for feeding back the eggs, it's not that it's not good for us, it's just that it might have the residue of wormer which most people would not like and legally they have to tell us not to eat them in case a human has a reaction to the piperazine.

By the way on the ivermectin, if you can get generic buy it - same product, HUGE markdown from Ivomec brand. There's usually a generic 250ml bottle available. Mine was Aspen brand and was $14 (pour on, 5%).

Last edited:
Quote:
This is what I was thinking it was, but didn't know if it was possible.
They look just like the cluster of ova, but separated.

I wonder if Saddina knows. She posted chicken organs for the weird thing a chicken layed last time.

Quote:
This is what I was thinking it was, but didn't know if it was possible.
They look just like the cluster of ova, but separated.

I wonder if Saddina knows. She posted chicken organs for the weird thing a chicken layed last time.

They really look like that to me, and I'd guess that's what they are simply because they look gelatinous and gelatinous things wouldn't make it past the gizzard's hard muscles unless there was pretty severe gizzard erosion, or a very very fast digestive tract.

I'm going to go look it up.
smile.png

I've been googling it to no avail. I'm probably not putting in the magic words in the right order. I hope you have better luck, and I ALSO hope you can tell us what the outlook for the hen is.

Would this be a spontaneous miscarriage for a chicken???

Thanks for all the information everyone. My husband has been looking at chicken poo all day as he was working around the yard with the chickens today. This was the only one that had droppings like this. I am going to order the Ivomec, hopefully generic if I can find it, as we checked and no one here locally has anything with the 5% in it, as well as the probiotics. I know we need to worm them, but after reading a ton of stuff today, I am going to start with the least withdrawal time one for now and see how it goes, as I am not positive we are dealing with worms yet.

No chicken vets here, so we are on our own, doing the best we can with what information we are able to find. It's kind of like raising kids, sometimes trial and error, starting with the least intrusive things to begin with.

My oldest hens are about 1 1/2 years old and the newest we have are newborn chicks, so we have a full range age wise of chickens. All have been raised exclusively with the food grade De in both the coops and feeding bowls as well. This is the first time we have seen anything even closely resembling worms, and believe me we look all of the time, as we know strange things in the poo are the first signs of something being off with the chickens, generally.

We don't even get new chicks from elsewhere anymore, as the last time we did we ended up with a bad case of cocci in them, so at this point we breed and raise any new chicks we want, which does keep down on many things being transferred in, especially with this large a flock, I would hate to start losing any to something we can avoid.

If anyone has any more info on this maybe being baby eggs from the oviduct, please reply, as that sounds like it could be a possibility also.

Just a side note, this was one of my black star hens, she is probably nine months old now. The picture was from her pooing on my front porch area this morning, so nothing had disturbed the poo.

She appeared fine as I was watching her, then my husband noticed the poo looking funny. I do have them banded with numbers, but of course I did not look to see which one she was before she left, so now we have to track that down tomorrow and see if we can figure out which one it is so we can keep an eye on her. At least in that group I only have seven to look through.

Back
Top Bottom