Strange poop in the coop! Dog poop?

crc310

Songster
Feb 25, 2013
Michigan
So working in the veterinary field, I'm familiar with poop! Lol this is the second time in the past 2 months I've found what looks like dog poop! The door is open 1 ft (sliding door) during daylight hours. Thoughts!?! Here are today's findings. I used my hand as a size guide. Could it really be from the chickens?

Last edited:

So working in the veterinary field, I'm familiar with poop! Lol this is the second time in the past 2 months I've found what looks like dog poop! The door is open 1 ft (sliding door) during daylight hours. Thoughts!?! Here are today's findings. I used my hand as a size guide. Could it really be from the chickens?
They can poop quite large sometimes, but that one doesn't have the white uric acid, so I think likely a dog. Color suggests dog fed dog food and not a carnivore.

I think you need to find out what/who it is and take precautions to make sure it doesn't harm your flock.

I think there is a chance that is a chicken poop. Once in a great while I'll see a large on like that without the white. Not saying you absolutely don't have a dog or something around, but there's a chance you don't.

Looks like normal dog poop. No visible parasites. I've seen some large chicken poops but not this long! Usually rounder. I was thinking too, looks like dog food fed domestic dog poop. Seems odd. We have a neighbor 2 doors down that has a wondering yellow lab but I would think his would be larger. He is curious but so far he has hung out in the neighbors yard where their chickens are. Never seen it in mine. I've challenged the dog a few times hoping it would stay out of mine! So far I've never seen it in my yard but I'm not always home.

It is definitely chicken poop. I have an indoor chicken and she isn’t feeling so good lately. Her poop looks just like dog poop and smells strong. No white to the poop. One of your chickens may have a cold.

Back
Top Bottom