Strange poop (possible digestion problem)

Stephlorraine

Chirping
Apr 26, 2022
My 1 year old Wyandotte has had very strange looking poo since she’s been broody. She was sluggish and showing signs of coccidiosis, so I’ve been treating the whole flock. She’s looking and feeling a lot better and laid for the first time today. But her poo is still strange like she’s not digesting her food properly? Photo inserted. I was thinking maybe crop problem? I’ve been putting probiotic in their water to help her digestion. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1B94A332-2CF8-4367-8C50-7E40151F5696.jpeg
    1B94A332-2CF8-4367-8C50-7E40151F5696.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 270
What are you using to treat the flock with and x2 on what exactly do you feed your flock?

My 1 year old Wyandotte has had very strange looking poo since she’s been broody. She was sluggish and showing signs of coccidiosis, so I’ve been treating the whole flock. She’s looking and feeling a lot better and laid for the first time today. But her poo is still strange like she’s not digesting her food properly? Photo inserted. I was thinking maybe crop problem? I’ve been putting probiotic in their water to help her digestion. Any ideas?
What are you feeding your flock, and does her breath smell foul. Is her crop hard?

What are you using to treat the flock with and x2 on what exactly do you feed your flock?
I’m using cocciprol (amprolium). Another of my small ones had bloody poop too so that was another reason I’m treating them. I feed them a 17% protein layer feed. She is the only one with poo like this. I give them black sunflower seeds for a treat every so often (hence the black seeds).

What are you feeding your flock, and does her breath smell foul. Is her crop hard?
I feed them a 17% protein layer feed. She is the only one pooping like this, and her crop did feel full the other night (too full) which I was paranoid about an impacted crop. In the morning she was completely emptied which I thought good she’s okay. This morning she had a bit of a squishy crop which I thought she may have guzzled some water before I fed them. I’ve got my mum to get me some nilstat just incase I need to treat her for sour crop. I haven’t noticed the foul breath, but I haven’t sniffed for it. I’ll check her crop in the morning to see what it feels like.

I would stop feeding sunflower seeds daily if I were you immediately. First they are extremely high in fat and feeding. Too much can cause the bird to become overweight very quickly, which in turn causes all types of serious problems.
Have you ever dewormed your flock?

She is the only one pooping like this, and her crop did feel full the other night (too full) which I was paranoid about an impacted crop. In the morning she was completely emptied which I thought good she’s okay. This morning she had a bit of a squishy crop which I thought she may have guzzled some water before I fed them.
Re-check her crop again first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure it's emptying.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds? If you don't, I highly recommend that you do.

I would stop feeding sunflower seeds daily if I were you immediately. First they are extremely high in fat and feeding. Too much can cause the bird to become overweight very quickly, which in turn causes all types of serious problems.
Have you ever dewormed your flock?
I don’t feed them sunflower seeds everyday. They get it as a treat every so often. Yes of course I have wormed my chickens. And I only just wormed them. They have had their first dose (I seen signs of worms in another’s poo), then I have given their follow up treatment.

Re-check her crop again first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure it's emptying.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds? If you don't, I highly recommend that you do.
Will do. They have shell grit in their pen at all times, and they free range the yard everyday picking up little bits of rock.

Back
Top Bottom