Strange quail colour?

Oops, sorry. Just found out, that's Golden Manchurian Coturnix Quail. Yours are lighter though. (I think that's golden + silver and/or white)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/565880/japanese-coturnix-quail-color-varieties#post_7308435

Find Manchurian Golden, female looks lighter.

Could also be Italian, they look lighter them Italians do. But, female has spots.

But, yours is more gray than gold, it could be pharoah mixed in with the white/silver. (Making Dirty Manchurian, ya know like Dirty Blond)

Last edited:
1st hatch, actually. I bought their parents off a breeder who I think isn't selling anymore quail. And yes, MrNappy, it's poop. I would've freaked out if it were blood.
tongue.png

Well, here are the parents:

The female's a roux dilute/fawn(?) I believe. And the male is probably a more ginger colour of it.
Well, from what I've looked up, that's what it seems to be.

The eggs were normal. The usual white with brown blobs all over. :)
Except the female hiding in the grass laid purple tinted eggs, which I think the chicks got from her as well, as two of my hens are laying purple tinted eggs. I was disappointed after she passed away, that I lost her and that I wouldn't get those purple eggs again, but I'm happy again.

(See the purple egg! I numbered the eggs so I knew which ones were older. I left the eggs in the nest to teach them where to lay their eggs. Even the chicks lay their eggs in a nesting box for some reason.)

Last edited:
SeptemberQuail
I,m in Victoria,let me know if you want to do an egg swap one time. i have 20 eggs in the incubator atm,but would love to get some new genes and a new color:)

hey september quail and kylesquails, happy to do some swaps over the next few months or so, different colours and sizes, once my new breeders start laying count me in, also another member satay- i will be shipping eggs from the 1st in feb, as satay shipped some to me as we can mix up the gene pool and get some interesting colours. below is a pic of my eggs, i mark the date , weight and what pen they came from. cheers sam

I know I'm digging up quite an old thread...but I was wondering if you ever figured out the mutations of your quail. I recently purchased some that look VERY similar to yours, only slight variations. Currently I have no answer as to what mutation they are, and was hoping you could get me going in the right direction! I'm in the US and have never seen a mutation like the ones I have here...every time I find something similar it ends up being from across the pond. Let me know if you have found an answer, or if you're willing to share results of test breeding them. Thanks!

Hey Chris,

Unfortunately I never got the chance to figure out the mutations of the quail, nor was I able to incubate anymore eggs. The white hen had (to my surprise) become broody (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/855513/broody-japense-quail-hatched-out-a-chick-finally) and hatched out two chicks, but one was a runt who never reached adulthood, and the other looked more rusty/cinnamon-y, and the eggs might have been her sister's eggs (who aren't white-feathered), buuuut the male was the third white one pictured from my original post, so the gene that gives them this nice white feathering is probably recessive. Didn't really want to breed them as they're all related and all my white-feathered quail had some sort of small health defect (from recessiveness?) such as weird toes or being a runt chick.

But, the recessive genes could be in all the chicks I hatched, hopefully, and I did give away all my males to other quail breeders- so maybe the recessive gene is still floating around somewhere, and the breeders might hatch out some healthy white ones and post it on here! (gotta stay optimistic)

Sorry I couldn't help much. My quail covey has been reduced to two (white male and fawn female), who are both enjoying their early days of retirements, so no more eggs.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom