Strange question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Considering all the moisture in the body, and the chickens body also, and considering the rear end of the chicken is use for dual purposes. how does an egg exit dry? And clean too? Or does it exit dry?

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I am not sure about the clean question, but it comes out damp and it dries almost instantly. I have watched my girls lay.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The little poop fairy comes and cleans off the egg before you get it. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The egg exits clean because of the way the system is put together. There are two different systems that meet at the vent. There is valving so the two don't contaminate each other. One discharges stuff that makes good fertilizer. The other discharges eggs. To keep the eggs clean, that part of the system actually exits the body and turns inside out when the egg is laid. If the part that turns inside out does not retract, you get what is called prolapse.

The egg comes out with a wet coating on it called bloom. The bloom quickly dries and inhibits bacteria from entering the porous egg shell yet lets air pass through that porous shell so the developing chick can breathe. The bloom is not 100% totally effective in stopping the bacteria, but it works pretty well.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

they may come out the same rim, but take different paths to get there.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Gosh, thanks everybody. That's good information.

p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by