Strange question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by punk-a-doodle, Dec 15, 2012.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Of a "self-plucking" bird.

Frizzles seem to go through hard molts as seen in a BYC member's (photo belongs to Zazouse) bird here:
    http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/e/e4/e4cf48aa_108-2.jpeg

It seems like breeding for frizzled feathers in whatever breed or mix one keeps for meat would make plucking easier. That is the idea behind scaless birds, but these birds would get the benefit of feathers until molting time.

Just curious if anyone has utilized Frizzles for that purpose? Would the be in poor weight during a heavy molt?

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    is that your bird cause that is a really hard molt i don't know what to say to that

3. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    And I thought my buff brahma had a hard molt. Umm I don't think thats normal could it be sick? I have had a lot of chickens never seen that bad of a molt.

4. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    On the original thread the hen went from that pitiful picture to fully feathered and beautiful. Just a super hard molt, I think.

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    If they are molting, even a really hard molt, won't all the pin feathers be coming in? Plucking out those pin feathers is a real bear. Also I would presume the meat wouldn't have the best texture/flavor because the bird isn't in their top condition.

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Ew, if the are, that would be a prickly meal indeed. I do wonder if body condition would be low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by