Strange Rooster Behavior

CochinsGirl

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
I am concerned about two of my roosters. All of my chickens are young, only 7 months old, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

1. My Sultan rooster doesn't like any of the hens. He prefers one of my Cochin roosters. The Cochin wants nothing to do with him as he has a favorite lady.
2. One of my Silkie roosters mounts my hens heads instead of where he is suppose to.

Has anyone else had such odd behavior from their roosters?

If you are able to separate them into a pen by themselves, the sultan with a lady or 2, and he shows no aggression to them, he will eventually accept them as "his". I also have sultans, and other crested birds, and have found that if I give them a "hair-cut" especially close to the eyes that they do a little better free ranging and in the run. Maybe he just has trouble "spotting" the right birds! As for the covering of the wrong end, I am sure that rooster will get it right eventually. I have seen that kind of behavior in many different species, and sooner or later the guy figures it out. Of course, if he never does, then maybe it is best if he cannot reproduce!!!! Good luck with your flock.

They are young and will work it out soon enough. Think of them as teenage boys, few more moths and they will act more like men.

Quote:
Yep. My roo Thor used to try and mate the hens from the side for the longest time. He finally figured out which end was up.

Thanks everyone. I have read as many chicken books as I can get my hands on and none of them mentioned these behaviors. Hopefully they will work it out eventually. One good thing, my black Silkie hen can see now since he has her head puff slicked back. Today I saw the Sultan chasing after my Barred Rock hen so maybe he'll leave the Cochin alone.

Quote:
Goodness no, but I think it would be cute if one of mine did. Thor would crush em. He's a rather large roo.

Quote:
gig.gif

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh! Sounds like your chickens are having some adolescent romantic problems.
lau.gif
I would give them some time before getting concerned, they should sort it out as they get older and begin to figure things out.

Since my only hen has gone broody my rooster seems depressed. At first he would stand and watch her from the coop. Now he sits at the back door to our house. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom