Strange sack like object in hen's water.

Chicken George

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
Hi guys i went outside to check on my birds and found a weird sack thing in her enclosure. When I checked to see if she was injured I noticed her backside was red with mites crawling all over her. Does anybody know what the heck is happening to her?

I just dusted her and the rest of the flock. But what's weird is that I dusted them barely last Monday.

Dust does not always work, I use Ivermectic 40% pour on and put 4 drops on the hens externally. One under each wing and one on each side of the area near the poop hole. I almost lost a flock one time. I do not eat my hens. I found a test that said that it does not affect the eggs. Good luck with your hens. This is for large hens not bantums

Last edited:
If it is mites then treating the birds only is not enough. Mites live in wood and bedding and dust only kills live bugs, not eggs.

Dust the birds and then clean out the ENTIRE coop really well. Replace all bedding, litter or nesting material. Redust every 7 days or so until you are certain they are gone. Reclean the coop if you keep seeing them.

The Ivermectin last long enough to rid them of the infestation. However, you do have to clean out the area, spray and make sure as the others have said the area they live. I sprayed the entire yard where they were with permethrin cleaned the yard, buildings sprayed it etc. It was a cleanning nightmare. But once they were gone I treat every three months with the ivermectin drops. I have not seen any more in over a yr. now. So I feel I am free of the critters unless some birds or chickens( from next door stray over) to bring more in. There is always some vector to bring in such. I really am vigilant.

Back
Top Bottom