Strange scabby callous on 2 year old golden sexlink....help?

starystoryteller

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
My chicken is nearly 2 years old and otherwise healthy. She has a painful looking scab on her chest over the keel bone(pardon my spelling if its wrong)

She has had this callous for a long time but while it looks off too me it hasn't posed a problem. Until lately. The callous wants to peel, its center looks like a dry pressure sore... and now there is a pus pale patch around it while the rest of her skin looks irritated red(picture doesnt do it justice). The scab is about the size of a dime, pale patch between nickle and quarter (moves with scab so its not related to bone and skin pressure) and the red patch is her entire breast

Advice is welcome. There is no vet within 300 miles who will look at a chicken, I am not squeamish in treating my birds( finally beat the bumble foot, the scales grew back after one got too close to the tracter, broken toe healed fine after one jumped down and landed wrong),but I will not let them suffer so help and advice is very much welcome.

Attachments

• 20220129_150719.jpg
    20220129_150719.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220129_150723.jpg
    20220129_150723.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 6
Looks like a breast blister, from pressure against roost.
Treat it like any other wound.
Might need to change roost.
A breast blister, thats a new one. Change the roost? Like wider? They sleep on a 3 inch wide beam which is sanded and painted. What would you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom