Strange Sleeping positions.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by theoldchick, Jun 20, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    My gals and two guys would rather sleep on top of the nest boxes than the roost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course Morse Code would rather sleep on a 2 x 4 so she can say near a vertical surface just in case she needs to send a message to her alien master.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    great pictures.....[​IMG]

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I can't tell from your photos where your roosting bar is located. But I know chickens like to roost on the highest thing possible. And if your nest boxes are higher than the roosting bar, that could be your issue.

Although they all look so cute and happy.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Silly birds [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:The roost is the highest place in the coop. I think they perfer a wide flat surface. I'm going to change the roost to a wider board and see if they like that. Of course I could angle the tops of the nest boxes so they couldn't roost there but I'd probably have several chickens with broken legs.

Interestingly, they do spend a moment looking for a higher spot but don't even try to sit on the roost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Our JG do not like high perches. Too hard to get down for them with their size and bulk. Give them steps up to the roost, they may go for it.

7. alexalet

alexalet Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. Dybael

Dybael Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    My birds graduated from the brooder to the Eglu today, except I think they missed the memo. Come dusk, they were making a horrible "oh god, you can't possibly want us to sleep on the GROUND" racket, as I ineffectually tried to shoo them in. Eventually, they finally noticed the ladder up to the coop...

so I had six birds all awkwardly squished together trying to roost on the ladder! Not one of them actually wanted to go inside. Birdbrains. [​IMG]

(I did eventually wrangle them inside. It took twenty minutes, and twelve mosquito bites. Three of the chickens had decided they wanted to sleep under the coop, way in the back of the run where I couldn't reach. They better figure this out for themselves soon!)

9. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    That is too cute!!!:) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by