1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange sound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MaxMeggie, Apr 19, 2009.

1. MaxMeggie

MaxMeggie New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    We came home after being away 4 days to a Buff Orpington making a sound like a cat - sort of a wheezy meow sound. Vent looks fine. No injuries visible. She's 3 years old, and always been very healthy. I have no information about anything like this. My son & daughter-in-law cared for them while we were gone and didn't notice anything unusual. I appreciate any wisdom or insight you might have. Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How is she doing? Still making the sound? Any new symptoms?

I really don't know. A couple of thoughts occur, that she might have a respiratory infection, or there might be something partially obstructing her breathing. You could try a little bread soaked in olive/veg oil to see if something she ate needs help being pushed along, on the off chance this is pressing against her windpipe.

Let us know.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    [​IMG]

Sorry I can't help.. But i'm sure someone on here has this happen also..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by