strange split on beak? help?

wildone

Songster
5 Years
Jan 23, 2018
so, my bird has something up with her. she has a strange sort of puff on her beak in between her nostrils with a small split on it. i have never heard of something like that. she is perky loud and annoying, and seems to be doing fine. i noticed the same thing happening on one of my roos. any help would be much appreciated.

I've had that happen to my Button quail - I think it's when they hit the soft part between their nostrils on cage wire when they flush upwards. It seems to swell up but mine recovered just fine.

was yours bleeding? mine was not, but i wouldn't be surprised if you are right. mine have plenty of space to stretch their wings and, well fly and hit their heads, so i would not be surprised. thank you so much! i think that when i saw that on her beak, i grew ten years older.

p.s do you happen to know what its called?

was yours bleeding? mine was not, but i wouldn't be surprised if you are right. mine have plenty of space to stretch their wings and, well fly and hit their heads, so i would not be surprised. thank you so much! i think that when i saw that on her beak, i grew ten years older.

p.s do you happen to know what its called?

Mine looked like it sort of swelled up into a blister. I'm not sure what you would call it. I got a fright the first time I saw it, thinking it was some terrible disease, but the bird was acting absolutely normally and I decided to wait and see and it did heal up with time. It must be a bit of a thin, tender spot there on their beak that's easily knocked, so if they bump it in just the right place it swells up. I've only seen it very occasionally on the birds that have wire above them. They sure do like to play jumping and flying games!

i will try to post a picture tomorrow, just in case. i was looking at my other quail, and they seem to be getting the same thing. just little bumps right now but...

IMG-6786.JPG

That does look very similar to my Buttons. Proportionally it looked huge on their little beaks. It does look like an injury as opposed to a disease.

Back
Top Bottom