Strange Spot on Egg

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Can anyone tell me what happened to this egg? The picture does not really show it that well... sorry... but the spot looks like a blood spot and is in the shell it self. I cracked it open and it just about goes all the way through the shell. Yes, the shell was somewhat soft. Also there is the kind-of rough... looks like lines... on the egg too. Diet has not changed. The only difference that has happened is the weather. Anyone have any ideas???
idunno.gif

strangeegg2.jpg

strangeegg1.jpg

Very interesting. I occasionally get eggs that have really rough little bumps on them, but very small - not a long scratch looking one like this egg has. Must have come from a very special hen!

No idea. It looks almost like a bruise but, how would an eggshell get bruised?

Exactly.... that is almost what it reminded me of... hmmmm
hu.gif
Just strange...

Sometimes hens do not lay the "perfect" eggs we see in grocery stores...it happens...

I know... even those chickens do not lay perfect eggs... we just do not see them. I was just currious if someone might have come across the same thing.... though out of 41 hens... I don't know who could have laid it... but... oh well... just thought I would ask.​

It's just a thin spot in the shell. When a shell thins out too much it has a tendency to show darker spots that "go all the way through". The hen is probably a little stressed due to recent weather changes or is still new to laying. Nothing to worry about.

Matt, hope your right! I got another one like it today. Just wierd to me. Guess since I still concider myself new to chicken raising I post and ask alot of questions when something like this comes along.

Thanks all.... appreciate all the help and inputs.

Hmm, Tes, I'm at a loss, hon. I haven't seen one like that before your pics. Whatever is it, it must have happened when the shell was formed around the egg since it goes all the way through. Very odd. I'm sorry I cant be more help here.

Back
Top Bottom