Strange Spot on Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyOaksYokes, Nov 6, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Can anyone tell me what happened to this egg? The picture does not really show it that well... sorry... but the spot looks like a blood spot and is in the shell it self. I cracked it open and it just about goes all the way through the shell. Yes, the shell was somewhat soft. Also there is the kind-of rough... looks like lines... on the egg too. Diet has not changed. The only difference that has happened is the weather. Anyone have any ideas??? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Anyone?????????????

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    No idea. It looks almost like a bruise but, how would an eggshell get bruised?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sometimes hens do not lay the "perfect" eggs we see in grocery stores...it happens...

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Very interesting. I occasionally get eggs that have really rough little bumps on them, but very small - not a long scratch looking one like this egg has. Must have come from a very special hen!

6. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    No idea. It looks almost like a bruise but, how would an eggshell get bruised?

Exactly.... that is almost what it reminded me of... hmmmm [​IMG] Just strange...

Sometimes hens do not lay the "perfect" eggs we see in grocery stores...it happens...

I know... even those chickens do not lay perfect eggs... we just do not see them. I was just currious if someone might have come across the same thing.... though out of 41 hens... I don't know who could have laid it... but... oh well... just thought I would ask.​

7. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    SE Michigan
    It's just a thin spot in the shell. When a shell thins out too much it has a tendency to show darker spots that "go all the way through". The hen is probably a little stressed due to recent weather changes or is still new to laying. Nothing to worry about.

8. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Matt, hope your right! I got another one like it today. Just wierd to me. Guess since I still concider myself new to chicken raising I post and ask alot of questions when something like this comes along.

Thanks all.... appreciate all the help and inputs.

9. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Cyn, forgot to mention that when i broke the egg open, the spot went just about all the way threw the shell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, Tes, I'm at a loss, hon. I haven't seen one like that before your pics. Whatever is it, it must have happened when the shell was formed around the egg since it goes all the way through. Very odd. I'm sorry I cant be more help here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by