Strange stool, lethargy

Littletrees

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2023
My super sleeper of a coturnix quail has now hit a concerning level of sleepiness as well as this strange stool? She’s a curly girl so being fluffed up is her norm but she’s much more fluffy now. Housed in an indoor aviary(garage), only bird showing any kind of strange behavior, no new birds, no new feed, waterers and feeders get changed/washed every other day. I’m certainly perplexed. No damage to vent. Ideas?
(Multiple stools from hospital cage, hence the qtips)

Attachments

• IMG_4527.jpeg
    IMG_4527.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 37
Can you post pictures of the whole thing? Are all of them like that? Seeing about one every day or two would be normal since it looks like cecal poop (when they shed some of the lining of their intestines), but it's hard to tell from the q-tip sample.

What are you feeding her? Do you have pictures of her home?

Can you post pictures of the whole thing? Are all of them like that? Seeing about one every day or two would be normal since it looks like cecal poop (when they shed some of the lining of their intestines), but it's hard to tell from the q-tip sample.

What are you feeding her? Do you have pictures of her home?
This is not her norm, this was about 5 different piles. I squished it onto the paper to look for clots or worms or anything for that matter and found a lot of mucus. All of her poop in the hospital cage is this or liquid. All my girls get all flock crumbles (local brand), access to grit and oyster shell, snacks depending on what I have and boonworms. Here’s the nutritional label on their feed as well as the aviary

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
I agree with @Nabiki , looks to be cecal to me too! Can you take some pics (close ups) of the girl in question?...might be able to better determine the issue!
I finally got around to getting a picture of it. It’s between this and then liquid. She’s acting a bit more normal today but not much.
IMG_4529.jpeg

I finally got around to getting a picture of it. It’s between this and then liquid. She’s acting a bit more normal today but not much.View attachment 3715581
I would stop feeding her treats (mealworms) and only give her the crumble feed, I can't tell much from the pic of her droppings but what is the 'black' object in the feces?....beetle, plastic, other?
IMG_4529.jpeg

I would stop feeding her treats (mealworms) and only give her the crumble feed, I can't tell much from the pic of her droppings but what is the 'black' object in the feces?....beetle, plastic, other?
View attachment 3715949
Plastic I had picked up off my floor while cleaning the hospital cage. Unfortunately she passed last night. Refused to eat or drink. Thank you for all your help

Back
Top Bottom