Strange (to me) nest box behavior

First time posting here in this amazing forum. Please bear with me if this question has been answered somewhere else; I didn't really know what to search for.

This spring I got six ISA Brown chicks, returning to chicken-raising after a couple of decades off. What an absolutely marvelous breed. They started laying early and haven't quit through the winter months. We usually get six eggs a day.

My question is this:

In my small coop (a converted outhouse) I built two identical nest boxes, directly connected to each other. But the chickens will only use one of them. Sometimes there will be three hens stuffed into the one 15" cube, while the nest just next door sits empty.

I tried a crate on the floor in the corner, but they ignored it too.

It's not a huge problem. They all eventually lay their eggs in the one nest. But it would certainly be more comfortable for them if I could figure out what's wrong with the other nest.

(FYI the nests are a little over 1 cubic foot each, made of plywood, with pine shavings as bedding, sitting about 2' off the ground in a corner)

I figured some of you speak chicken as a second language. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan
Welcome, Dan! If you want to put your general location in your profile, it will help others to respond if you have future questions in which your location would be helpful in formulating a response. The only reason to want to spread the laying out between your boxes is to decrease the foot traffic in any one nest. Sometimes squabbles lead to cracked eggs. And on a rainy, muddy day, if the eggs are spread out, less chance for them to get dirty. Just my 2 cents worth. FYI, I have 6 boxes, 3 over 3, and the entire flock, almost without exception lays in the top 2 left boxes. The top 3 have a bit of window shining into the back of them. The only time the bottom darker boxes get used is if there's a pig pile in the top boxes.

@schroedpot

We can vote on results for fun.

Will they use both nests or not with the curtain?

Sunflour votes yes
caf.gif
Please give us an update on what happens.
Sounds like a game show. Was it Alex, or some other host who offered the prize behind the curtain, or the prize in the box???

I have used golf balls in each nesting box.. I have about 6 nesting boxes and 3 hens that lay in them. ( others are silikes and cant get up to the boxes) I found that if i put the golf balls in them, then they tend to use the other boxes.. there are times when I find 2 or all three eggs in one box, but usualy they are spread out in boxes. just a thought.

Boy do I feel old, no need to Google that for me, that's common knowledge. Next you'll ask about Bob Eubanks.

Ahhh, not so fast human peoples. A day later, and a new chicken caucus tally...the voters are switching!

Nest 1 (prime rel estate): 4 eggs
Nest 2 (revitalized slum): 2 fake eggs, 2 real eggs

Sunflour, Monty Hall has a check in the mail for you.

Ahhh, not so fast human peoples. A day later, and a new chicken caucus tally...the voters are switching!

Nest 1 (prime rel estate): 4 eggs
Nest 2 (revitalized slum): 2 fake eggs, 2 real eggs

Sunflour, Monty Hall has a check in the mail for you.
wee.gif
woot.gif
Will be watching the mail.

Seriously, had to remove fake eggs altogether when 2 of my BO's wanted to stay broody :)

Back
Top Bottom