Strange Tunnels

No, it's not raised. It's a resin shed with attached floor. I have security cameras on them and the rats have gotten into the run but not the coop so far.

A lot of folks find themselves in the same place as you, and not sure what to do about it. This may help.......
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rats-when-the-army-went-to-war-on-them.1216226/page-2

This is the 2nd page of that thread, where it cuts to the chase as to how to deal with your rats. The first page of that thread offers good background for what you are up against......but not everyone has the time or inclination to sit through something that long.......or, since some of it is technical, the ability for a lot of us to fully comprehend what we are seeing if we did. There is also a natural inclination to want to avoid using poisons at all cost......and for good reasons......they want no harm to come to birds, pets or kids......no collateral damage so to speak. But in the end, that is generally what it comes down to.

A true rat proofed building is the goal, but is tough to do. Plastic sheds and coops? They can chew into that with no problem at all.

Last edited:
I liked your original idea of exclusion - we have just been through a weasel scare - see my photos in "Operation Weasel" under the predators topic - in your photo, on the left side, that looks like the hard wire cloth ends, though, does it?

I have hardwire cloth on floor, walls, and roof now - over coop windows, door, etc.

for floor see photos here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/operation-weasel-in-46-photos.1221150/

for walls and roof see photos here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/am-i-a-genius-or-an-idiot.1217242/page-5#post-19446930

no holes bigger than 1/4" - spied on my mice (who stink and bring other predators in behind them) and saw where they scurried when I shone a flashlight on them - then reinforced the tiniest holes with "great stuff" from Lowe's, an expandable foam that sealed spaces I could not get into with the wire - they can chew through that, but maybe it is harder than finding food elsewhere, I hope

Unfortunately, I have harmed many animals here through what I did or not did, but I would vote for compassion for all living things, including very smart, social, and sentient rats - we had rats as pets once - I adored them - I know it is not the same when they invade your home and coop, but remember that they are just like us, trying to live and eat and have a family and live where it is nice for them - I would take the niceness away and let them move on, if possible - total exclusion from food and shelter would be my response of choice, taking away the reason I created for them to be there, correcting my mistake without causing so much pain for them

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I'm still reading that link above. We went on a hunt last night in the dark and found that the rats are tunneling into our yard from our neighbors yard. They have a massive shed and we could hear them scurrying around inside. It honestly sounded like hundreds of them inside! They live in the neighbor's shed and then come over to our coops for food. There must be some food source in that shed also. I'm just waiting for them to get into our house!

My bigger concern is that rats will draw in bigger predators. It's not unusual to see coyotes and mountain lions come into town because we live on a mountain. If they find rats, it'll draw them into the chickens, which will lead them to dogs/cats and even children. It's the circle of life but I don't want to see it in my yard.

Thank you for the advice. I'm still reading that link above. We went on a hunt last night in the dark and found that the rats are tunneling into our yard from our neighbors yard. They have a massive shed and we could hear them scurrying around inside. It honestly sounded like hundreds of them inside! They live in the neighbor's shed and then come over to our coops for food. There must be some food source in that shed also. I'm just waiting for them to get into our house!

My bigger concern is that rats will draw in bigger predators. It's not unusual to see coyotes and mountain lions come into town because we live on a mountain. If they find rats, it'll draw them into the chickens, which will lead them to dogs/cats and even children. It's the circle of life but I don't want to see it in my yard.
Have you told your neighbors about the rat colony that has taken up residence in their shed? If you can poison the whole colony in one fell swoop that would end your tunnel troubles. Talk to your neighbors if you haven’t already. Aside from attracting predators rats carry diseases and toxoplasmosis which is very dangerous to pregnant women.

They are out of town, but I fully plan on talking to them when they get back. They are an older couple and I'm going to offer to help them get rid of the rats.

I have another question. I have an EE and a RiR, full sized. How do I know how much to feed them daily? I've always let them eat what they want out of a bucket. Also, how often do I feed them? I took their food bucket away last night and I have a fear of them going hungry. They drink out of nipple waterers. Do I still need to take that away?

This is the companion video the CDC and Army produced to go along with the rat control video that started this thread. Produced circa 1950, but remarkably principles are still as valid today as they were then. When you are looking at rat proofing, or if you hope to rid yourself of them by starving them out as your sole strategy, this is what you are up against:

BTW, there is a third video in this serious that goes into great and boring detail as to the nature of rats.....how they build their tunnels and why, social hierarchy, their reproduction habits, biology, etc. I have not included it in this series, but perhaps I should. Someone might learn something from it that would help.

@Creteloc we just found out our neighbors across the street have seen roof rats running along their back wall. Their neighbor behind them has fruit trees and they're not good about keeping fallen fruit picked up. We are on high alert and checking on things regularly.

We are using Tom Cat poison in a locking box just in case, but so far no issues. We have used this before when we had a rat in our garage and it worked great.

Chickens need 1/4 to 1/3 lb feed per day, less if you give treats. I would definitely not leave out food, but I always leave a waterer in the coop.

I hope you get rid of ALL those rats quickly and easily.

Back
Top Bottom