Strange video with a question about one part

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Dec 17, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The video is essentially a rant about stuff we already know. But there is a clip from the BBC showing tent cities growing in LA. Can anyone tell me where to find the rest of this clip? Is this being shown anywhere here in the US??

I was only able to find one other reference to this on rocketboom.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Sorry I can't help but maybe bumping this up someone will see it.

3. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
  4. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Andoraclaim Thank you so much for finding these.

This is a national disgrace. And the fact that I had to hear it from the BBC and search for it on-line is even worse!

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Do you expect the American media to provide the truth about anything?

Disclaimer: I am no fan of the BBC and there have been pockets of
    homeless people (tent cities) in existence since the dawn of time.

It was a good video for the most part. My only gripe with Ron Paul
    was his isolationalism philosophies in the age of globalization.

This will all turn around, eventually. The government will come out
    stronger. That's the part that scares me.

Oh Heck. Ron Paul 2012 [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    send good thoughts/prayers for the city folk, Thank God/be merry your in the country [​IMG] least i can go hunt... OR fish in the 3-4 ponds my family has... not have to deal with other people because im in the sticks, down a dirt road, no one but family around.. if the wood animals run out.. Can always eat my chickens, or grandpas horses.. also the birds in the air. just gotta catch em. sticks.. grass.. maybe some leaves once the meat runs out and i have to go vegetarian.

7. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I saw this on our regular news here in the US like 2 weeks ago...

thing is - like PC said, it's nothing new really - I mean, people live in the subway, under bridges, in alleys, in their cars - entire families, not just individuals .... whats the difference? There is none ...

It's sad no matter how you look at it.... but its been going on forever - its just that now that we're in the situation we're in (as a country) people are just now bringing it to the forefront.

THAT is whats sad

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Through experience I know for as many people out there who live homeless and really want to do better there are those who prefer to live as they are. They don't want what we think of as a normal 'home' and 'family life'.

I do what I can where I can to help people but the key to changing a life is in your hand to pull yourself out of the gutter by your boot straps - and accept a helping hand when offered. Even in poor global economy if you want to better yourself you can. It is not the job of the government to hand you a fair life.

Have you ever had contact with some homeless people? It is a real eye opening experience.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I worked with the homeless for ten years.

The situation has never been that bad. Yes, the poor we will always have with us, but 350 people squatting in a tent city?

That's not asking for a government hand out that is asking for the government and our fellow citizens to stop allowing big banks and big business to operate with no thought to the good of the country or the economy. Adam Smith was wrong, Milton Freidman was wrong. Both presuppose a level of ethics and forethought that business in this country has failed repeatedly to show.

I know homelessness. I know what it looks like I know how it operates - this is NOT normal.

10. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I can see both sides of the issue: yes there are some people that choose to live the way they do - they dont want any responsibilities and would rather just live the vagabond existance day in and day out - then there are others who do not choose it, it chooses them through loss of job, home, whathaveyou.

What really irritates me - and I've seen it first hand myself - I've seen it also in undercover news stories as well - is when you see people BEGGING on street corners for money - either with their kids or without, then they go around the corner and jump in their darn car that is better than MY car! UGH!

I try not to judge people - I really do, but - sometimes, its very hard not to when you witness situations like this. I have given people money before - but what I started doing when I see people with those signs "Will work for food/Hungry/Need Money" - I have actually HANDED THEM CANNED FOOD - and they've HANDED IT BACK TO ME and had the NERVE to say "Can you give me money instead?!" [​IMG] I looked at them and said "are you serious?! No - if you're hungry - EAT what I am giving you."

They've thrown it back at me [​IMG] and called me a *itch!

*shaking my head*

There are other times when I see someone - and that "little voice" just speaks to me... and I will give them money - and I just see it in their eyes - I dont know what it is...but SOMETHING tells me.....they need it and its legit, and they wont drink it away or use it for something illegal. And my heart knows this and it smiles.

So yes..I can see both sides....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by