Strangest egg I've ever seen.

tom e

Songster
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
Ventura County
I just went to the coop to fill the feeder and collect eggs this morning, all the birds were out in the yard. Under their roost I discovered something that looked like a reddish brown kiwi fruit. This was odd to me, because I don't grow kiwis, though I wouldn't be surprised to see them take some fallen fruit into the coop if they had found something interesting. I have a hoe in the coop that I use to stir up the shavings and poop under the roost, so I pulled it toward me a little with the hoe. It had a soft leathery texture, and was QUITE large (for an egg)- kiwi sized, but with a rough surface. I gave it a whack with the hoe, and there was a yolk inside. No hard shell whatsoever.
I wish I had taken a picture, but I was so horrified I quickly covered it with shavings.

Thinking back now, I'm worried that it may have had some organ coating it, like a bird lost something in a really awful prolapse (does that ever happen?) Needless to say this is worrying, there are a couple girls that are older and haven't been laying lately, even since their coopmates have restarted.

Everybody looks normal, they are all out wandering the yard and scratching for bugs. My birds are pretty wild; they come up to me expecting treats but none will allow me to pick them up, and I know that my trying to catch them in the day will only result in them panicking and even possibly flying over the fence, so I plan to get in the coop tonight and check their vents.

If the color was indicative of the normal shell color, the reddish brown would lead me to check on the two marans and one welsummer, but the marans are new layers. One of the marans is quite large and does normally lay an egg that is near to that size.

I've seen torpedo eggs, big eggs, eggs with double yolks, and weird tiny eggs with no yolk; but I've never seen anything like this. I feed a mix of layer and flockraiser, my birds also get lots of bugs and grass- lots of grass right now because the rain has brought up young "fox tail" grass all over. They have access to lots of oyster shell and I give them their own egg shells back. Lately they've been given lots of excess collard greens, chard, and brussels leaves from the garden.

Anybody ever seen something like this? Would you think its something dangerous or just a normal "bodys can be weird" moments?

Thanks for anybody who took time to read all this, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Tom

Wow! That looks very like what I saw. It's not something to worry about then? I'm going back there now to read up. Is it normal to have an egg inside too? I suppose if pushing an egg through happens at the same time...
Chickens often shed their intestinal lining and it looks very strange.. Meaty looking things..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/626986/this-came-out-of-a-chicken-pics-included
I recently replied to this thread. Maybe something here will be of some help?

OK, finished reading- looks like there are a few theories, but I'm about 99% sure that's what I saw (whatever it is). It was like an 'egg in a sock' sort of shape, which is why I was worried about a loss of some organ. But I doubt the bird who lost some of her internal organ like that, would be difficult to pick out of the line up today.

OK, finished reading- looks like there are a few theories, but I'm about 99% sure that's what I saw (whatever it is). It was like an 'egg in a sock' sort of shape, which is why I was worried about a loss of some organ. But I doubt the bird who lost some of her internal organ like that, would be difficult to pick out of the line up today. 

Yeah, you would notice your bird acting strange if there was anything to be concerned about. Seems like she is fine to me. Sometimes egg malformations occur. Just report back if you see another. This sort of thing does not happen twice to the same hen in a short period of time. Kind of like that lightning striking in two places theory :)

I do see one of my Marans acting a little funny today. She's sort of moping. Walks with her tail down, but mostly just rests in the shade. I will keep observing her. Maybe it was just a hard thing to pass?

Just an update in case anyone has something similar.

Our black copper marans was fine, I was just looking hard for something that day I think when I typed my last reply.

A few days later though I did notice my buff orpington (about 2 years old) was acting very strangely. I saw the other girls pecking at her and she wasn't defending herself, just being really passive and quiet. When I went to her, she didn't try to run as usual. She just sort of stayed where she was with her eyes closed. I picked her up, she made no attempt to resist this at all. Every time I put her back on the ground, she just flopped back to sitting, didn't seem able to stand well. I watched her for an hour or so, she was always in the same place- no movement at all. I determined she must be in a lot of pain so I put her down. All the other birds are fine and seem to be behaving normally.

Thinking back, and looking in the eggs in the fridge (we have about two 18 packs and about 8 eggs in the collecting basket) I realized we haven't a single egg from her, so I'm now thinking that it was indeed her who laid that egg and that it must have been some part of the oviduct or other organ around that egg. It's quite sad because she is one of our first birds- the only survivor of the three orpingtons that were our first purchase. When I first got them, I was feeding them as chicks on layer (I didn't know better at the time) and one of them died back then, another was very stunted and was given to a friend. I kind of wonder if that bad feeding could have been related to this- maybe her organs didn't develop right because of too much calcium as chicks? Anyway, just wanted to follow up, in case anyone has a similar issue.

hugs.gif

I had a chicken last spring who layed an egg that didn't have a hard shell - just a soft leathery like membrane. I broke it apart and it was the same as any egg just without a hard shell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom