Strangulation in tongue mimics Wet Fowl Pox. (An important lesson learned)

I was worried about Sunni getting too much water, and all of the extra fluids desalinating her system, so I did some research and found a great homemade Pedialyte recipe.

1/2 cup hot water
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon Jello Gelatin powder

Mix the baking soda, salt, sugar, and gelatin powder in the hot water until dissolved, then add to the 3 1/2 cups of water, stir, and serve. It can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Last edited:
You may have already thought of it but to at least help her with drinking water, perhaps try a some of the chicken nipples? They are positioned above the chicken's head so the water can dribble out and right down their mouth/throat. Seems like it would be easier than getting a beak full and tipping her head back as with a normal waterer.

You may have already thought of it but to at least help her with drinking water, perhaps try a some of the chicken nipples? They are positioned above the chicken's head so the water can dribble out and right down their mouth/throat. Seems like it would be easier than getting a beak full and tipping her head back as with a normal waterer.

Thank you! I never thought of that! I'll have to order some of those and try them for her. Thank you very much. :D

Sunni has successfully learned how to eat pieces of cat food, so we are going to switch our chickens to pellets and see how she does with those. If she can eat them, and the nipple waterers work well, she may be able to go on living like a normal chicken. It's a stuggle for her to eat on her own, but she is learning more day by day.

Thanks so much for all of the help and advice everyone! It is very much appreciated. Sunni appreciates it too. ;)

They are dirt cheap on Ebay, that's where I got all of mine from. I hope she learns how to eat pellets, the more she can do for herself the better her quality of life.

Is there any way to keep the poultry nipples from freezing in the winter? I was thinking about it, and we get some very cold winters here, and I'm not sure if the nipples would work for that. Would just heating the bucket keep the nipples from freezing?

I might have to figure out a way to get an extension cord or something out to my little barn if that's the case.

Is there any way to keep the poultry nipples from freezing in the winter? I was thinking about it, and we get some very cold winters here, and I'm not sure if the nipples would work for that. Would just heating the bucket keep the nipples from freezing?

I might have to figure out a way to get an extension cord or something out to my little barn if that's the case.
Pipe insulators. They look like those foam pool tubes the kids play with. Towels and duct tape work as well.

Quote:
No towels with string!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom