Straw bedding question and observation

Muse7

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 28, 2012
Norristown, PA
Hi All,

I have 8 ducks and our coup is a single level 6' x 4' base. There is a 10" x 10" screen on the floor, in one corner, because I just can't seem to leave them without water for 12 to 13 hours at a stretch and I wanted a place for the drips from the chicken nipple drinkers to be able to drain so the coup wasn't a disaster area every morning.

When I put the flooring in, I used vinyl for easy cleaning and cheap replacement when necessary.
Over that I am using straw, about 6 to 8 inches deep.

O.K. Here is the question, I keep reading about people pulling out a top layer and adding some dry to the top daily or every other day and doing full cleanings once a month or so. Am I just spoiling my ducks, I can't seem to go more than a week before it strikes me as being to wet or to dirty not to pull out everything, give the floor a cleaning with water and bleach and then refilling.

I'm averaging 1/3 to 1/2 or a 40 lb bale of straw a week. Does this seem excessive or on target?
Thanks for the input.

Best,

Liz

Hi, Liz - one quick comment; ducks need to be able to submerse their bills UNDER water to get their food down. You mention they have a nipple waterer, which would not allow them to do so. Do they also have a pan or something that they can dip their bills into? They sort of squirt water through their nostrils (nasens) to clear them out, also.

Can't speak to your straw question; I use pelleted bedding.

No food in the coup at night, but during the day when they have feed, they have both nipple waterers and
buckets. No, we don't need any infections with our ducks.

Thanks,

Liz

I am having a similar problem, except that it isn't me that insists on cleaning the bedding out, it is my mother.

A few points:

1) I have read a bit about different materials to use for the bedding and it seems as though pine shavings are considered the best, at least for smell. From my own personal experience of using hay and pine shavings, it does seem that the hay gets "grosser" (highly technical term) sooner than the pine shavings. The hay tends to clump and is hard to fluff, whereas the pine shavings can be moved around to create an illusion of freshness.

2) After about a week, my hay/pine shavings mixture tends to be damp (its been very humid and rainy here recently) and vaguely smells of ammonia. That is when I clean it out ... I think the amount of time before this happens might increase in the drier fall and winter. I have read (on this forum) that adding peat can reduce the ammonia smell.

3) I have read on this forum that you should fluff the existing bedding and then add more, I have not read about taking a top layer out. I have also read that in the first few weeks the bedding might seem a little gross, but once the bacteria (or whatever?) start breaking the bedding down, that it gets better. However, if it is wet, you are probably right in taking it out. How is it getting wet? Is it from your watering system or just **** weather like mine?

But that doesn't really answer your question, I just hoped to piggy back on your question while adding a bit of my own experience.

My coop has linoleum floor.

I tell you what, the pelleted pine bedding, in my opinion, is really the way to go with waterfowl. It's the most absorbent bedding you can get. I do only have 4, and mine are now 16 weeks (holy heck, that went fast!) - I use 2 full bags and only need to scoopt it out once a month, and I've gotten down on my hands & knees & put my face right down to it, and there is barely any smell at all.

we use it (pelleted) as a base for all the ducks and geese (3 breeds of duck and 4 breeds of geese) during breeding season they get hay added on top for nests. All of the brooders for the goslings are bedded with it also, makes a great flooring, scoops out easily, and is good in the compost pile too.

It may very well be that weather is a contributing factor. We are in Pa and WOW have we had a lot of rain the last couple months, and not those
little showers, Monster downpours with thunder storms mixed in. When it isn't raining it's super humid. For those talking about pellets, what brand
are you using or what size are you using. I have found horse stall pellets, but I'm thinking those might be a bit big?

I like the idea of something like that as a base and then the straw on top. Further input would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I just had a great experience with ducky bed time. We have been working on integrating 3 new hens to our existing flock of five and
the original 5 are extremely tight. I knew we would see some neck biting, from our hens, but boy, all 5 gave the girls some really hard grief. Two
nights ago, after 4 days being in the same pen during the day (after 2 weeks in a wire enclosed run in the pen) we finally felt like we could put them
all to bed in the duck house without finding nothing but feathers in the morning. It was very loud in there the first night for about an hour, then they
settled for the night. The second night there was some minor tussling off and on for about a 1/2 hour. Today in the yard they spent real time together
as a unit, no chasing, and they all RAN together for their coup when the big male Red Tail made a pass over the yard. It was great. The Red Tail sounded
pretty mad that there would be no duck for lunch.

But tonight was great. I went out to round everybody up to go in the coup and the 3 hens were already inside and settled. The 5 big ducks were all standing
outside the door and as soon as I came into the pen hopped on in. Hoo-ray for normalcy. At least until tomorrow.

Just had to share, as it gave me such a good feeling to see them all together and not trying to kill each other.

I'm looking forward to that pellet info.

Best,

Liz

Back
Top Bottom