Straw Bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jashdon, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Is straw ok to use as bedding in coops? It seems to me like I've heard something about chickens eating straw and getting impacted crops? Any thoughts?

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I've read of a couple of chickens doing that in the 'emergency' thread. If you decide to try it, I would just keep a close eye on them at first. I just use pine shavings, and I haven't had any problems with it.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I didn't want to take a chance either...so our straw sits in our pole shed while I run to the feed store for our more expensive pine shavings...BUT you have to clean it WAY less so it makes up for it. AND smells WAY better too [​IMG] Which ever way you go, enjoy those chickens! They don't care either way I'm sure [​IMG]

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I had been thinking about posting a question on this subject since I noticed a couple of days ago that my straw keeps disappearing from the coop floor. *sigh* I guess I'll be running to the store for pine shavings myself. I'll keep the straw to cover the shmud in the goose/duck run come winter (talk about messy after a wet snow!)

5. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Does anyone know what the signs of an impacted crop would be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by