Straw in the run? Need advice

Wow thanks, the run setup inside changes in the spring and fall, to accommodate new chicks integration and when I prepare for winter. We don’t wash our eggs nor refrigerate them, they get consumed and sold in a week or so. Our chicken hobby happened by accident due to my impulse chick peep buy.

That's sounds really amazing! I'm going to keep this in mind for in the future. I am very inspired!! :)

I use shavings in the "coop" part but straw in the run and it seems to work fine. It's kinda dusty the first day it's in there but it breaks down very quickly by itself so I've never changed it out or anything.

View attachment 1295220 View attachment 1295221

Yep chickencountryUK is right, it’s called corrugated clear roofing available in opaque, clear or solids from any hardware home improvement store. I opted for clear since I want optimum daylight in the run if it gets too sunny and hot the chickens can go in the big coop if they want besides there 4 big trees shading the coop.
Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE your coop:thumbsup:thumbsup

OPs in AZ & it's pretty much dry so hay may work. I've read hay + humidity = mold ...
I read alot before I do anything. Been accused of over thinking :sick but when it comes to raising animals (another living being) I prefer to know as much as I can before jumping in. Have learned common sense is a must.

Hi, I live in Northern Arizona, where sand and clay are everywhere and not much foliage. I have a run with dirt, but when it gets rainy, there is mud everywhere and the chickens get super muddy. So, just wondering if anyone has the same issue and used straw to keep the run mud-free? What are pros amd cons for this? I would imagine pests, but anything else? If not straw, is there another good (cheap) option?

My run is 12' x 12' and 6' high, enclosed in chicken wire. I have 10 chickens.

I reside in swontario. I have 17 hens, a variety of breeds. When we started we used straw but found it did not soak up any water or dampness. We started using shavings a few year ago, the local coop carries them and they are good quality so as to avoid respiratory issues and we have not had any issues to date. I think it helps with warmth as well.
Noah

Back
Top Bottom