Straw or shavings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AliciaM, Nov 23, 2010.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    Which one is better to help with the cold? Im thinking of putting out a thick layer of straw on the outside of the coop so im not slipping in the mud.. Will it be ok in their coop on the floor? Right now its just shavings..

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Straw is OK, but when it gets wet it stays wet and will get moldy. Pine shavings dry out a lot faster and they both do a good job of insulating.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Shavings

Hay will dry out - however, it stays wet on the bottom and gets yucky. Found out when my goats had some on the ground for two weeks, I raked it, and it was saturated underneath. Not nice.
    Shavings all the way

4. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Quote:ditto

5. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Yeah I like shavings more each morning you can throw scratch on it and the chickens will fluff it up for you plus straw is hollow and mites like to live in it.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Shavings on the floor--straw in the nesting boxes. The shavings will dry out the poop, can be turned over and added to. Straw doesn't mat down and offers some insulation/cushioning. BTW, when getting shavings make sure it is shaved(planed) wood not chipped. The last stuff I got from TSC was chips and I was really unhappy. Won't go to them again.

7. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Shavings. I use shavings on the floor and in the nest boxes. Once the shavings in the nest boxes gets yucky, I simply empty it out on the floor. Since I started using shavings, I never again had a smelly coop/run.

8. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    I use straw and hay on the floor and in the nesting boxes. The coop is totally water proof so it doesn't get wet inside (no mold). They seem to enjoy the extra cushion and insulation. I haven't had any problem with mites or lice.

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Quote:That's pretty impressive; considering where you live... I'll have to assume they are not free range?

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:ditto

Me too! Mix a little DE or stall-dri in with it and you're golden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by