Straw or shavings?

AliciaM

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Yelm Washington
Which one is better to help with the cold? Im thinking of putting out a thick layer of straw on the outside of the coop so im not slipping in the mud.. Will it be ok in their coop on the floor? Right now its just shavings..

Shavings

Hay will dry out - however, it stays wet on the bottom and gets yucky. Found out when my goats had some on the ground for two weeks, I raked it, and it was saturated underneath. Not nice.
Shavings all the way

Yeah I like shavings more each morning you can throw scratch on it and the chickens will fluff it up for you plus straw is hollow and mites like to live in it.

Shavings on the floor--straw in the nesting boxes. The shavings will dry out the poop, can be turned over and added to. Straw doesn't mat down and offers some insulation/cushioning. BTW, when getting shavings make sure it is shaved(planed) wood not chipped. The last stuff I got from TSC was chips and I was really unhappy. Won't go to them again.

Shavings. I use shavings on the floor and in the nest boxes. Once the shavings in the nest boxes gets yucky, I simply empty it out on the floor. Since I started using shavings, I never again had a smelly coop/run.

I use straw and hay on the floor and in the nesting boxes. The coop is totally water proof so it doesn't get wet inside (no mold). They seem to enjoy the extra cushion and insulation. I haven't had any problem with mites or lice.

Back
Top Bottom