straw

stilldeb

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
NW Kentucky
I know most people use some kind of straw/hay in their coops/nesting boxes, but I have had the opportunity to see first hand how our local straw (and most all other) is produced, and the reason I got chickens in the first place was to get away from poisons/chemicals/antibiotics/hormones, etc., so I just don't use any of it. My house is surrounded by farm (not ours), with rotated crops, soybeans, corn, winter wheat...and the wheat straw is baled and sold to our local Rural King. (in the past I have just grabbed a couple of bales out of the back while they were baling it - the neighbors don't care) Well, I had put some straw down in my dog's pen, and some of the wheat sprouted and was actually growing a pretty good crop with my good ol' 16 yr old toothless dog in there...so I experimented...put some down in another part of the yard and when it grew, sprayed it with Roundup - sprayed it real good...didn't die...can't kill it no matter what. Genetically modified, so it's had plenty of Roundup dumped on it in the field. AND for the first time in the twelve years we have lived here...the field, my house, AND my 16 yr old toothless dog were CROPDUSTED...TWICE! OK, yes I was furious. My windows were open and it was blowing toward the house. I grabbed the dog and took him in, and I have had severe respiratory problems myself ever since - since March- (recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis - related? - hard to tell, but possible).

Anyway, I know what they do to wheat and wheat straw so I keep it as far away from my chickens as possible. Hopefully, they don't dump any chemicals on pine shavings (?) - anybody have any idea?

deb g
KY

I think leaves are one of the best beddings, though they break down quickly. In the end, this is very good (since I WANT the bedding to break down to eventually go into the garden), but since it happens so quickly I find I am quite often putting in new leaves.

Save your leaves from next Fall. If you live near the suburbs, grab them off the curb (they've already bagged them for you...but you will need to open the tops to allow them to continue to dry).

Since they break down quickly, get as much as you can.

I am fortunate to have many large trees in my yard for leaves. One thing that I am personally concerned with as respects getting leaves from "other" yards is you have no idea what chemicals/pesticides etc that people have put on their yards. A good example is how many people fertilize their yards in the fall...then leaves are present, raking up leaves, etc. Just my own paranoia kicking in I guess ??

Back
Top Bottom