Stray Aussie - Mystery ducks!

Jimbo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 2, 2008
Please tell me what sort they are... :eek:

ChooksnDucks.jpg

Australian Shelducks?? Looks like there is a white ring around their eye's, so all females?? Go to Featersite, should be under Wildfowl or Non-domestic species.
Very pretty !!!
love.gif
They're strays and just wander into yer yard??

Thanks for the info... and please offer more suggestions.

kstaven I think they are crosses for sure... the feet are two-tone and they look unusual (though very charming with that bright duck intelligence). One has a bit of red around his/ her bill, maybe a muscovie influence?

KrisRose thanks for you suggestions. I think they are females but they are only 4 months old, hard to tell. "Stay Aussie" is just a sig I put on my posts so someone might remember me in the wild flurry of this online flock. I am Aussie though and might have been a bit stay in my younger years...
smile.png

I'll show you the new pekin duckligs we just got... they are SUPER-cute. The one in front burnt its face on the light bulb in the enclosure by getting its head stuck in the wire frame around the light. Found it in time and it is recovering well. No detectable loss of sight (responds to hand-waving on that side). I held it for about an hour after the accident and it is so tame and social now.

PekinDuckling1.jpg

PekinDucklings2.jpg

If it wasn't for the heads and too much black in the breast they could pass for badly bred magpie ducks. Its the head that has me puzzled. I've seen something similar and can't remember what.
he.gif

They are common [not exhibition bred] Muskovy ducks-they will not develop as pronouinced a red face as the exhibition type. The red is called caruncling BTW.
The one closest to the front of the frame appears male by body type but they are immature so it's hard to be sure from a picture.
But, they are definately Muscovy ducks and not crosses.

Quote:
Well, those three take our total to 13... thats a fair few for were we live.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom