Stray cat...?

Seems tooo many peeps here would like to treat stray cats like an enemy.:idunno All my cats in my Avatar are feral rescues. They don't bother my chickens. They live outdoors and have a safe garage they can enter for the night. I have them ALL neutered/spayed, and do provide food and water always. They in turn provide my grounds, mouse and rat free environment.
Well they are the invasive species. They are not discriminating. Mice and rats are a small percentage of all the wildlife they kill. Around here they take rabbits, skinks, frogs and a plethora of birds including endangered species.
Get your cats indoors where they belong.

Seems tooo many peeps here would like to treat stray cats like an enemy.:idunno All my cats in my Avatar are feral rescues. They don't bother my chickens. They live outdoors and have a safe garage they can enter for the night. I have them ALL neutered/spayed, and do provide food and water always. They in turn provide my grounds, mouse and rat free environment.
Don’t get me wrong, I love cats.:love But I don’t like the idea of an animal that may belong to someone who just lets their pets go in others yards and not enough kindness to care where there pet is. :hit

Well they are the invasive species. They are not discriminating. Mice and rats are a small percentage of all the wildlife they kill. Around here they take rabbits, skinks, frogs and a plethora of birds including endangered species.
Get your cats indoors where they belong.

THANK YOU for this PSA. Many humane shelters will not adopt a cat to you unless you promise to not let it outdoors. Cats are invasive, and while they do perform a service getting rid of destructive invasive rodents, they also wreak havoc on the native wildlife, as ChickenCanoe said. If you're worried about your cat not getting outside time, build a Catio. It's basically a caged-in outdoor chicken run for cats.

We have such a problem with feral and free-roaming cats in our neighborbood. They annoy my chickens, and crap in my garden, where I grow my food. Please keep your pets away from my yard, and my food. Thank you.

Don’t get me wrong, I love cats.:love But I don’t like the idea of an animal that may belong to someone who just lets their pets go in others yards and not enough kindness to care where there pet is. :hit
I like cats too. We have two (indoor cats). My son has two indoor cats. As invasive species, they don't belong in our outdoor or wild areas.
If one has outdoor cats or harbors ferals, they are contributing to the problem.
Every veterinarian will tell you to keep your cats indoors for the health and safety of the cat.

They preffer those things after all XD. We live in the wooded area of our town, so they typically have plenty of prey to go after that are far easier then chickens. Ours stick around for that reason since we dont feed ours. They may also go after a wild rabbit or two as well.
As long as my chickens are safe that is all I care about. :pop I will try to find out if the cat has an owner.
If your still worried about them getting your flock, putting chicken wire around the inside of their area may help give you some piece of mind.

The main reason why I am worried is because I saw the cat climbing up a tree in the back woods. If the cat can climb up a tree he could climb a tree near the run, an jump right over the gate/chicken wire. I don’t really want to put chicken wire all the way over the top.

The main reason why I am worried is because I saw the cat climbing up a tree in the back woods. If the cat can climb up a tree he could climb a tree near the run, an jump right over the gate/chicken wire. I don’t really want to put chicken wire all the way over the top.
We have regular fencing for most of ours. Kennel fencing if tou have spare pieces can also be used for a roof to prevent the cats from climbing over to.

I think you should see if he has an owner and if not, adopt him.
65A21C53-3F15-4E06-9108-C9186625F321.jpeg
This is our feral kitten that my daughter caught last year at this time. He’s a terrible mouser, has only ever caught one chipmunk -which he carried around for a while and then let go, but he does catch (and eat:sick) any BUG that dares to enter the house.

P.S. He has never bothered the chickens and he is fixed

I think you should see if he has an owner and if not, adopt him. View attachment 1953354This is our feral kitten that my daughter caught last year at this time. He’s a terrible mouser, has only ever caught one chipmunk -which he carried around for a while and then let go, but he does catch (and eat:sick) any BUG that dares to enter the house.

P.S. He has never bothered the chickens
He is ADORABLE. :loveThat will probably the first thing that I will do.

Back
Top Bottom