Stray Cat

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Black Feather, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Ok, I’m trying to figure out what to do. I have a quasi stray cat coming to my place. I think she sort of belongs to the neighbours, but in true typical fashion of these people that cat is probably not vaccinated, fixed, or even fed a whole lot….a.k.a a neglected barn cat of sorts. I already have three of my own cats (that barely get along as it is) so can’t take in anymore. She is very sweet tempered.

What would you do?

UC

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I have the same problem sometimes. Only we get mean bully cats coming around. I bring in their food at night so as not to keep them coming to eat and then beat up my cats at night.

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    That's a hard call. [​IMG]

If you have the extra income you could have her fixed at a low cost place and give her the basic shots and let her be an outside kitty. If you leave out food for her you'll attract others (cats, raccoon, skunks) which you don't want to do.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    We have that same problem. Does your neighbor have an overabundance of cats that are a constant nuisance? Or is this the only one?

My neighbors have so many cats that they have around 3 to 4 litters a year. Huge problem for me, not that they try to eat my chickens, but they start to "home" themselves here for the food or the males start spraying around the house--not my cup of tea for sure!! I take them to the shelter. With your stray being a female, she surely will become a breeder and further escalate this problem....

Just think about the cat, with winter coming, what would be best for her and you.

5. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    My neighbours unfortunately have an overabundance of cats that are a constant nuisance. There are a few that have been bully cats that have beaten up on my own cats. I caught one literally in the act of beating the crud out of my own sweet (fixed) male. I broke up the fight and the cat never came back after that.

This little one though is a bit of a different story as she's not a bully, nasty creature. Very friendly. I've already de-wormed her and gave her a bit of food. I'll speak with a local vet about other options and see where that goes. Unfortunately there will always be more where she came from. It's a shame they can't take better care of their cats.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would put food out for it so you at least know it is fed.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:I used to do that...then I'd noticed them "getting fat" or "eating well" only to find her one day skinny again, nursing kittens, and soon bringing them up to be fed too. When we bought our house, there were literally a dozen cats around. I stuck food out for them, then they started having kittens. Yeah, they are cute, but after so many litters, I had to put a stop to that. It was so expensive and I felt upset that that I took care of my animals (all of my animals are either spayed or neutered) and here I am taking care of someone else's cat and her kittens.

I do know that most shelters will have something called "neuter scooter". And for roughly $50, if you schedule the appointment you can get your cats spayed or neutered. I'm sure it's called different things in other areas, but ours is called the neuter scooter. But you have to make an appointment, they usually go to a local city for no more than 2 days, and just do a massive amount of surgeries. Those fill up incredibly fast.

We also have some vets around here that give a huge discount for people just spaying/neutering for the use of a "barn cat". Maybe you could check on that if you plan on keeping her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by