Stray chick in my yard! What do I do?

Ecalix

Chirping
Apr 24, 2021
Miami, Florida
This chick showed up in my yard today. I’m not sure what to do. I got her in the run so she would be safe from my flock that was chasing her around. I left enough space in the entrance where she could get out if she wanted and at some point after eating and drinking she got out and then returned and made herself at home.
It is now dark and the chic has started to chirp a lot. I’m sure she wants her mom. She is up on the roost. I don’t know what to do for her. I haven’t raised chicks so I have no clue what to do.
Is she ok staying alone? It’s not cold here but do they need need extra heat at night?
I have a hen with 2 chicks that are older/bigger than the stay and they still get under the mom so I’m concerned for this little one.

Attachments

• D8CA76D5-FF85-409E-B77C-429F194DCADC.jpeg
    D8CA76D5-FF85-409E-B77C-429F194DCADC.jpeg
    695.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 196B0816-8F4E-4B31-BE73-0E967B492C27.jpeg
    196B0816-8F4E-4B31-BE73-0E967B492C27.jpeg
    712.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 6D86443B-A65F-433B-8120-7603A76C8EB3.jpeg
    6D86443B-A65F-433B-8120-7603A76C8EB3.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 8
This chick showed up in my yard today. I’m not sure what to do. I got her in the run so she would be safe from my flock that was chasing her around. I left enough space in the entrance where she could get out if she wanted and at some point after eating and drinking she got out and then returned and made herself at home.
It is now dark and the chic has started to chirp a lot. I’m sure she wants her mom. She is up on the roost. I don’t know what to do for her. I haven’t raised chicks so I have no clue what to do.
Is she ok staying alone? It’s not cold here but do they need need extra heat at night?
I have a hen with 2 chicks that are older/bigger than the stay and they still get under the mom so I’m concerned for this little one.
Poor little thing!
How big is your coop? Can you fashion an area in the corner where she can stay the night where she can't get out and the others can't get in? She looks fully feathered so I wouldn't worry about her being warm enough.
Quarantining her is a bit of a waste because she's already been around your flock. She obviously wants to stay because chickens don't want to be alone.
If you want to keep her, continue bringing her in to a safe place in the coop each night to keep her safe, let her out before the others so she can eat and drink then let the flock out. She will eventually integrate. When the broody chicks get weaned they may buddy up with her.

Poor thing! @DobieLover has made great suggestions. But I wonder where she came from. Do you have close neighbors who have chickens?
Lots of chickens in my neighborhood however we are not supposed to have them so everyone is very hush hush about it. We hear them and see them but nobody claims them or talks about it. Lol. One of my hens disappeared a while back and then we saw her with a rooster down the block. We still see her from time to time. So this baby unless she decides to leave will stay here with me and I’ll do my best to keep her happy and safe. I just don’t know much 😅. I’m new to all this.

Poor little thing!
How big is your coop? Can you fashion an area in the corner where she can stay the night where she can't get out and the others can't get in? She looks fully feathered so I wouldn't worry about her being warm enough.
Quarantining her is a bit of a waste because she's already been around your flock. She obviously wants to stay because chickens don't want to be alone.
If you want to keep her, continue bringing her in to a safe place in the coop each night to keep her safe, let her out before the others so she can eat and drink then let the flock out. She will eventually integrate. When the broody chicks get weaned they may buddy up with her.
My coop is actually too small and a hen with two chicks is in there and they already showed aggression towards the chick. The rest of the flock prefers to sleep out on the mango tree and that’ why I let the stray chick into the run. But now I’m concerned about mice. I went to check on the chick again and saw a couple mice. They are smaller then the chick but can they still be an issue?
I may just put her in a dog crate inside the coop till the morning. And then let her back out in the run.

Back
Top Bottom