Stray Chicken- Any breed guesses?

Is that really a hen?
That's what I was thinking. I think it's a roo. But what do I know lol
100% yes..

Hens can and do grow spurs.. they can even crow though it usually sounds pathetic!

Spurs are usually only on older ladies.. and more likely in Mediterranean breeds allegedly.. My local friends old ladies that have spurs and still lay are barred rock and gold laced Wyandotte.. hatchery stock.

Also it does look like she might be having some feathers trying to turn pointy on her.. they're hormone related and if an ovary is damaged.. it can happen.

BUT barred/cuckoo birds.. the females get a single dose of barring and males get a double dose.. making white bars wider than black on males giving them a lighter appearance. She is clearly female barred. SO there are a few clues to look at over all. :)

100% yes..

Hens can and do grow spurs.. they can even crow though it usually sounds pathetic!

Spurs are usually only on older ladies.. and more likely in Mediterranean breeds allegedly.. My local friends old ladies that have spurs and still lay are barred rock and gold laced Wyandotte.. hatchery stock.

Also it does look like she might be having some feathers trying to turn pointy on her.. they're hormone related and if an ovary is damaged.. it can happen.

BUT barred/cuckoo birds.. the females get a single dose of barring and males get a double dose.. making white bars wider than black on males giving them a lighter appearance. She is clearly female barred. SO there are a few clues to look at over all. :)

Wow, I've never had a hen with spurs!!!!

I knew that about the male/female barring, but I had forgotten 😳

Jeez, the older I get the more I forget that I know! 👵🏽

Wow, I've never had a hen with spurs!!!!

I knew that about the male/female barring, but I had forgotten 😳

Jeez, the older I get the more I forget that I know! 👵🏽
It's no joke.. me too! :idunno

I hadn't thought about the barring until y'all asked what gives.. then I had to ask my brain why it said hen and try and recall some stuff. :p

The waddles are very short for a cock that age, would be one of the other clues as well as lobe length.

The size of the spurs is what's pointing to the age.. takes most my boys a couple years to get spurs that long.. IF I recall correctly.. it been a while since one reached that age here, unfortunately.

I agree being creatures of habit would make it odd for her to leave her flock.. presuming they were still living and hadn't already succumb to old age or predation themselves.. Is it possible she was dropped off or ditched? :hmm

Sounds like she's confused about her location and not familiar with it at all.. per the sleeping on top of a trash can. It's possible though not probable that she accidentally got out of her own place and couldn't get back in.. ALL of my birds who accidentally get stuck on the other side of the fence.. pace back and forth.. will hunker down for the night if needed.. and try to get back to their flock ASAP.. reasoning it out.. I'll be surprised if a previous owner does come forward.. noting most people are doing their best and sometimes their best solution was a cruddy one. Thankfully, luckily.. I have learned that despite my grandma dropping off stray animals that showed up at her place.. out in the country or whatever.. I know that's not humane.. but I also know it still happens all the time, unfortunately.

Will you be able to make room for her with your flock or consider keeping her if no one comes forward?

I’d personally be okay with keeping her if nobody comes forward but i would have to discuss it with my mom.

Thinking about it though it could be likely someone dropped her off here assuming i’d keep her. My neighborhood has multiple flocks scattered around and i wouldn’t be surprised if someone just wanted to stop keeping their own :(

Back
Top Bottom