Stray dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bachbachMills, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bachbachMills

bachbachMills New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    I had a stray husky come to my house and barn and killed 8 of my chickens. It didn't eat them, just killed them. I was and still am, sick about it. My chickens are my pets and have all been raised from chicks in our basement! Well, my big Ameracauna rooster got pretty hurt. His back is pretty much scalped and he has a puncture wound too. I have put him in a separate room in a pack and play and basically put some furazone on it for the past two days. Today, though, I cleaned him up with some warm water and put peroxide all over his back and cleaned him up the best I could then put Neosporin all over. He has been eating and drinking but he can not stand hardly at all. I am hoping he pulls through but time will tell. Thanks to others for posting their advice on these kinds of attacks. It is nice to have somewhere to go for such things.

2. StandardLover

StandardLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:I hope he pulls through, bless him![​IMG][​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Electric fencing will send the right message! So sorry about your loss & hope your roo improves.
    [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I am so sorry about all of your poor birds [​IMG]

Dog attacks make me crazy because at the root of almost all of them are irresponsible humans. If you have any idea whose dog it is there is much to be said about next steps but first things first, and that's your injured roo.

No more straight peroxide. Keep using neosporin. For the puncture wound, oral or injectible antibiotic may also be needed to beat back infection.

Keep him warm and comfy. And hydrated. If he starts to eat and drink less it may be because of pain and therefore pain relief may help. 1 baby aspirin (81 mg crushed into 1 cup of his drinking water, fresh batch at least daily but ideally twice daily).

Electrolytes for shock - may be past that now anyway.

Drop or two of Rescue Remedy in his water may have a calming effect to help with the extreme trauma he endured.

If the dog got away, he WILL BE BACK. Everybody in lock down for now.

Hope roo will be okay - it can take quite some time to heal.

Please keep us posted.

JJ

5. bachbachMills

bachbachMills New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    thank u for the advice. I will definately try the remedies and the electric fence is not a bad idea! Good thinking...he is still ok this morning so we will see. Thanks!

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Last year one of BO hens showed up with a large patch of skin missing...even looked like some muscle was gone! I was sure she would not survive but decided to give her a chance. I cleaned the area and sprayed it with Vetericin every day. I tried Neosporin but being sticky it attracted dirt badly. I kept her back covered with a chicken saddle to keep the other hens from pecking her wound (she did not like being separated) and she did heal up fine! Her feathers didn't lay right in that area but that was fine. So don't give up hope, he has a good chance of making it.

7. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    How do you know it was a Husky? Is he sleeping now? Are you sure he won't come back.

I have known Huskies that kill chickens for the sheer joy, and once they start, they don't stop killing. I had a friend whose Husky progressed from chickens to biting children - the very toddler with whom he was raised. Needless to say, that Husky is sleeping now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by