Stray Dog trainable???????? Update...

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
Theres been this dog lurking in the woods and around my yard since about may. I've have a few instances were my cats would come up missing and then a couple that had obvious 'maul' wounds. Then one of my huge muscovies drakes was mauled, not dead. But he did die after I cleaned him up and tried to docter him. Never 'saw' this dog do any of it, just assumed. After countless attempts of firing 'warning' shots and the neighbors actually shooting at him, he kept coming back.... Needless to say he is coming in the house now for brief meals and human contact. I think he is a little over a year old, intact. He been really good just hanging in the yard with our dogs and 'so far' has left my poultry alone. Problem is he HATES my cats and PEES all over my house. I'm just working on least training as its only been a few days that I can touch him. I do plan on getting him fixed for sure. Do you think I can teach him not to terrorize my cats and not pee every where inside??? Hes a darling dog and I really believe he has had no 'positive' human contact until now. I would just love to keep him.

After coming in and out of my house just like my dogs for 3 days. Now HE won't AND HE WON'T LET ME CATCH him!! Augh. Is this normal???? He was letting me rub all over him inside the house and out in the yard/barn. Now he acts like he did the few days 'before' he started letting me touch him. Its warm out today. I guess he just 'used' me while it was frigid cold.

Last edited:
I think fixing him would help out with a lot of these problems, like the peeing on the house. I'm not sure about the cats though, are they very confident around dogs? If no then the chances are slim of them getting used to each other, if yes then sure as long as the dog knows that they are friendly and a part of your family. You are doing a great thing by the way! We had a stray on our property, scared, barking and hungry, who know lives with some of our great friends and their three young boys.
As long as you are dedicated to him and teaching him!
What kind of dog? Any pics?
wink.png
Good luck!

first off good for you and the dog! Second once he is fixed the peeing should stop in the mean time don't let him out of your sight, if you catch him peeing make a loud sharp noise to startle him and immediately put him outside to potty. If you have or can get a crate that would help to crate train him when you can't watch him. Be prepared for some complaining
big_smile.png

Also with the cats you may have good luck by putting him on a leash while in the house and whenever he goes after them (or stares intently) give him a jerk and say in a dominant voice "no" or "leave it" he should get it in no time. This would also work for the peeing too.
If at all possible you can't go wrong with a obedience class. I work my dogs regularly at home but you just can't beat the way your dogs get socialized and learn to behave in most situations. All of mine go to obedience class, usually in the winter when we are buried in the snow so we can shape up our manners and so the dogs get to have a good play session with all their friends after class :)

You're a brave, kind soul,...
I cant say that i would do that for a feral dog... too much risks for me..
For the cats, you may never train that out of him.. sorry. But for the peeing,... crate training, thats what i would do..
Best wishes.. hes such a lucky guy..
hugs.gif
fl.gif

This is him in my mud room. Not a great picture but the first one. We are going to call him Shooter, being all the bullits he has dodged. NOT US!! Our neighbors. My DH just fired shots in the air to scare him off. Not to get all mushy, but I want to tell you more of the story behind him. He showed up at the same time in the summer my best friend out here passed away. He was an older man who I groomed and trained horses for. Like a father figure. A huge sad, sad loss. In Dec. my dear Mom was 'out of the blue' diagonosed with leukemia. Just 15 days later she passed away. Dec. 29th. From the time she went under hospice care, the dog actually started getting really brave and coming up to me. Now he is tame and going to be a happy challenge for me. He came to me for a reason. Neat, huh??

Not all dogs are good with cats, no matter how much training. BUT that doesn't mean that he is going to be that way or that he can't be managed if he is.
For peeing in the house, neutering isn't a magical cure-all. Treat him like a puppy. Actually, at 1 year old he IS a puppy :) Crate him when you can't watch him. Tether him to you. Take him outside on a schedule. Get a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle and thoroughly clean every single spot that he has marked in the house.

I have never had a problem with intact dogs marking in the house, it's more of a training issue than anything.

Allow him limited access to the house - the mud room might be a good start. Once he defines that area as his den/home most dogs stop marking. Gradually allow him access to more rooms once he is trustworthy. I'm not sure how a crate would work with such a dog. One thing I would do immediately - get him a rabies shot. It is a noble task that you have undertaken. Good luck.

He's still so young, I'm sure he's more than trainable!

It's been said, but contain and tether. I'd agree a room is probably wiser than a crate, but creating a den inside the room wouldn't hurt. Tethering him to you not only allows you to always watch, it forces him to spend some quality time getting used to your presence.
I would also guess that he's probably going to be quite food motivated, if he's been fending for himself. Treats will also help with the skittishness, and make him warm up to you. At this point, there's not really such a thing as too much positive feedback for him. Also an awesome time to start reenforcing "Come!"- every half hour or so, call him over just for a treat. If he comes over just to check in, give him a treat.

Treat him like a much younger dog. Trips outside frequently, and TONS of praise for peeing outside. More than feels reasonable, and WHILE he's peeing.

Also- could it be submission urination? He could be trying to impress you by peeing, in which case you're going to want to address it differently.
http://www.clickandtreat.com/webart105.htm This is a good way for most people to start dealing with it. Calm/neutral behavior, and immediate (mellow) feedback for good behavior.

Every dog is trainable in my opinion.

Every dog is different and what takes my dog a few days could take your dog a week and vise versa. Getting him fixed could help with a lot of his habits. Good job taking him in. Good luck with him!
highfive.gif

This is him in my mud room. Not a great picture but the first one. We are going to call him Shooter, being all the bullits he has dodged. NOT US!! Our neighbors. My DH just fired shots in the air to scare him off. Not to get all mushy, but I want to tell you more of the story behind him. He showed up at the same time in the summer my best friend out here passed away. He was an older man who I groomed and trained horses for. Like a father figure. A huge sad, sad loss. In Dec. my dear Mom was 'out of the blue' diagonosed with leukemia. Just 15 days later she passed away. Dec. 29th. From the time she went under hospice care, the dog actually started getting really brave and coming up to me. Now he is tame and going to be a happy challenge for me. He came to me for a reason. Neat, huh??

That is very neat. Sounds like he came into your life at a very good time for you. In my opinion animals are one of the best medicine. They never judge and are always there when you need them most.
I am sorry to hear about your friend and your mother. That must have been tough.
hugs.gif

Take Care Now,
Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Back
Top Bottom