Stray Geese

That's my plan. I did get them in the crate. It was too late to do it tonight.

I had EVERY intention of putting them in the dog house, which is already set up for them. But it just wasn't going to happen tonight. They were too nervous to go in. The girls went right into the goat house. The gander took some coaxing (read: I had to chase him in).

I really thought I was prepared. They taught me otherwise. 😂

Now I feel a kinda stupid and guilty.
New critters mean new ways of doing stuff. No need to feel stupid. You will figure it out. Sometimes the first plan doesn't work and you end up with a totally different plan.

My geese herd really well I just use my arms and walk slow behind then using my arms as a guide.
Your new geese are beautiful @Aunt Angus
I love them already! The two girls come right up to me for treats and pats. The gander (JD) Isa little standoffish still, but I'm sure he'll come around.

There's not much grass at the moment because of the MUD. I can't wait until spring when things get green again!

Brief update:

The geese are fantastic! They are still with the goats, and it's going fine so far. I still plan to separate them asap. In the morning, they get veggies and fruit in addition to the very little grass in the goat pasture. They follow me into the barn every night and go into the area I made for them in the corner of the goat house. I give them grain and oats and close them up for the night.

Now another question:

JD (the gander) is very standoffish. Tonight, he hissed at me. Is this because of breeding season?

If so, what might I expect?

Ok. That I can deal with.
By the way its ok to hiss back. He is just establishing his order in pecking... ok pecking order. My main gander mister number one did a little hissing at me last year when babies showed up but he still knows Im number one. Really hiss back... Drop your neck give him a deep look in the eyes of disapproval.. Its just a new environment and he is figuring out his place in it. Dont laugh but I do the happy dance and flap my arms every time one of my boys back down. None of them are aggressive there just protective.

By the way its ok to hiss back. He is just establishing his order in pecking... ok pecking order. My main gander mister number one did a little hissing at me last year when babies showed up but he still knows Im number one. Really hiss back... Drop your neck give him a deep look in the eyes of disapproval.. Its just a new environment and he is figuring out his place in it. Dont laugh but I do the happy dance and flap my arms every time one of my boys back down. None of them are aggressive there just protective.
This will be FUN! So far, he's more wary of me than anything. But, gosh, is he cute!

Back
Top Bottom