Stray Hen

I'm with part, You can't just let her roam. She is not like a stray cat that you can feed and let her fend for herself. Chickens are prey animals that everything wants to eat, and they don't have any real defenses. You clearly don't really want chickens, or you would have done something by now. Please, just take her to the shelter, she'll easily get adopted by someone that really wants chickens.

I'm with part, You can't just let her roam. She is not like a stray cat that you can feed and let her fend for herself. Chickens are prey animals that everything wants to eat, and they don't have any real defenses. You clearly don't really want chickens, or you would have done something by now. Please, just take her to the shelter, she'll easily get adopted by someone that really wants chickens.
Yeah, I think this is a case of the OP having his cake and eating it too. He wants all the benefits of having a 'pet' without doing all the necessary work to ensure the safety and health of the chicken in question. I don't think he's going to relinquish the chicken to anyone soon, he seems intent on keeping things the way they are just like with the stray cats he's been feeding.

Yeah, I think this is a case of the OP having his cake and eating it too. He wants all the benefits of having a 'pet' without doing all the necessary work to ensure the safety and health of the chicken in question. I don't think he's going to relinquish the chicken to anyone soon, he seems intent on keeping things the way they are just like with the stray cats he's been feeding.
I don't know why you would label me like that. "it's having my cake and eating it too."

I have been feeding the stray cats for years without needing to get anything in return. The hen came about a year ago and I've fed it with nothing in return as well until a month ago when she started to lay eggs. As I mentioned, I always thought she came from a coop until a recent event that I followed her and found out that she sleeps on a tree. Someone told me she looks like a game chicken and I looked up the definition, it means she is wild, likes to sleep on a tree and not in a coop Does not get along with other chicken and is mean. That totally describes this hen. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-are-game-hens.16463/ ).

So now that we know her eggs are not fertile, I told everyone that I will not start a coop, and let her be the same way she always has been. I was willing to learn and start a new coop if chicks were to hatch. Why do I need to find someone to take her in when she does not want to? Why give it to a shelter who's going to put her to sleep if nobody claims her? Like I said, I've seen another rooster 2 years ago, I've seen chicken in the neighborhood walking around. I'm sure if she wants to join a coop, she could do that on her own.

I don't know why you would label me like that. "it's having my cake and eating it too."

I have been feeding the stray cats for years without needing to get anything in return. The hen came about a year ago and I've fed it with nothing in return as well until a month ago when she started to lay eggs. As I mentioned, I always thought she came from a coop until a recent event that I followed her and found out that she sleeps on a tree. Someone told me she looks like a game chicken and I looked up the definition, it means she is wild, likes to sleep on a tree and not in a coop Does not get along with other chicken and is mean. That totally describes this hen. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-are-game-hens.16463/ ).

So now that we know her eggs are not fertile, I told everyone that I will not start a coop, and let her be the same way she always has been. I was willing to learn and start a new coop if chicks were to hatch. Why do I need to find someone to take her in when she does not want to? Why give it to a shelter who's going to put her to sleep if nobody claims her? Like I said, I've seen another rooster 2 years ago, I've seen chicken in the neighborhood walking around. I'm sure if she wants to join a coop, she could do that on her own.

I do agree that it would be a shame if she were to be euthanized. However I breed Game Chickens, and they love their coop, they roam the backyard during the day, going into their coop and leaving it as they please. At night they will quite happily go into their kennel and roost.

She isn't joining a coop because their likely isn't one nearby. In fact it is more than likely that the chickens you have seen are feral. And even if she did go into someone's yard, not everyone wants a feral, possibly diseased hen that may or may not be ridden with parasites, all of which could be passed onto an already existing flock.

I most certainly don't think you are a bad person, however to me it seems irresponsible that you are allowing her to be in danger from predators every day. If you care about this chicken, you should be willing to learn how to keep her safe, get her a coop and some friends, and feed her the proper diet. Otherwise you should try to to rehome her, or bring her to a shelter.

I wish you nothing but good luck with your hen, however she needs to be kept safe and secure in a coop with friends. Chickens are very social animals that love to be with others. Trust me, if she could join a flock she would.

Good luck.

I would not eat the egg looking like that. That is why you open the egg.

The egg was definitely not fertile.

Do the things to break a broody--broody box, disturb the nest spot.

I suspect you might be building a coop next year. You have time to decide if you want chickens. They are not for everybody of course.

Use BYC to learn about them this winter. It has been very fun reading this thread

I do agree that it would be a shame if she were to be euthanized. However I breed Game Chickens, and they love their coop, they roam the backyard during the day, going into their coop and leaving it as they please. At night they will quite happily go into their kennel and roost.

She isn't joining a coop because their likely isn't one nearby. In fact it is more than likely that the chickens you have seen are feral. And even if she did go into someone's yard, not everyone wants a feral, possibly diseased hen that may or may not be ridden with parasites, all of which could be passed onto an already existing flock.

I most certainly don't think you are a bad person, however to me it seems irresponsible that you are allowing her to be in danger from predators every day. If you care about this chicken, you should be willing to learn how to keep her safe, get her a coop and some friends, and feed her the proper diet. Otherwise you should try to to rehome her, or bring her to a shelter.

I wish you nothing but good luck with your hen, however she needs to be kept safe and secure in a coop with friends. Chickens are very social animals that love to be with others. Trust me, if she could join a flock she would.

Good luck.
Thank you for the kind words. I thought the term Game Chicken is used to describe them that don't want to stay in the coop? if you breed them then i guess they become domesticated and not really game chicken right?

All modern chickens are domesticated. Game breeds are breeds that are closer to their wild ancestors, and as such tend to be flightier. You can contain them, but they're more prone to flying, and they don't do well in small, crowded pens. They're still social birds, they'll still come and roost in a coop at night, and they'll still live with other chickens.
Like how a huskie dog is more like its ancestors than a yorkie is, but both are still domestic dogs.

As for this little hen joining some back yard flock who has a coop: this may never happen. Often flocks are like little cliques of Junior High girls. They guard their turf, and don't let any newcomers join their group.

Agreed, the best option for this little gal would be to re-home her with a willing back yard flock owner. If you put up a notice on Craig's list, I bet you would have some one come to get her within 3 days.

Thank you for the kind words. I thought the term Game Chicken is used to describe them that don't want to stay in the coop? if you breed them then i guess they become domesticated and not really game chicken right?

This is an excellent quote from a user on BYC called @Black Feather

There are lots of chickens that can be defined as game fowl. Cornish game, old english game, modern game etc etc. They come as bantams and large fowl. It's sort of the same as saying you just bought a 'hunting dog'.....it could be any breed.

Game chickens can be used in all the same ways as regular chickens and depending on their breeding and background may be more or less aggressive than other breeds. I have old english game and modern game bantams and think they are fabulous! The modern bantams are the most personable bantams I've ever owned.

Just because they are 'game' birds does not automatically mean they are from fighting stock. You will see many variety of game birds at shows and in 4H...they're pretty much just a chicken like any other chicken.

This is a very perfect description. Game chickens tend to be quite stocky, and show birds will have combs that have been 'dubbed' meaning the combs have been cut to look very small. My Old English Game Bantams love to free range, but never leave the yard. On days that I don't let them out they bear confinement well. I hope that helps your confusion.
Hos your stray hen doing?

Back
Top Bottom