stray rabbit!

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
yesterday i noticed a rabbit in the front yard so i approached it and it ran straight up to me, so i got some grass and it ate from my hand (wasnt too excited as it was already eating grass but you dont go outside every day expecting to feed a wild rabbit) but as soon as i reached out to pat it it jumped back a few steps. It followed me around a bit then decided to head off to the neighbours yard. Ive seen that rabbit a couple times. The rabbit seemed very tame, it had a brown coat with black spots. Should i try and catch it or should i leave it alone as its not bothering us. Probably was someones pet once

As I am sure you know, rabbits aren't native to Australia. How dangerous it is for this rabbit to be wandering is hard to say, but clearly, it is a pet. I'm thinking this rabbit hasn't been on its own for long, or it would be more wary. Have you tried to find out if it has an owner (it may have escaped, or the owner may let it out and not realize that it isn't staying in their yard). I'd be afraid that a rabbit this friendly might get caught by somebody's dog. I doubt it will live very long if left on its own.

fed him little bit of carrot, parsley and apple tonight (it only comes out around 7:00pm) came right up to my lap and let me pat it. And then i picked it up (phht i didnt think it would let me but it did) it had like mucus around its ear dripping down its back. We have had rabbits before and this ones fur was not soft (is that normal?) well it was calm for a bit while i stroked its head and then decided it wanted to get down. (didnt scratch or bite but started kicking and jumping) so i put it down and it didnt bolt away just went on the neighbours yard. so i gave up and decided to try again next night. How would i catch it and what would i do afterwards? keep it? we dont want to kill it and the neighbours dont seem to mind either. keeps their grass down probably haha!

i have no clue on how you would catch it maybe a live trap or something idk but keep it if you want or find someone who wants it .. with its fur not being soft that could be the breed or something

Turns out there's two and they have been coming in pairs lately. Here's some photos

I would want to catch it and examine it to see where the mucus is coming from! Or could it be puss? It could have an infected wound? Certainly I would want it out of the wild and into safety, would you give it a home?

Check it's ears out. Rabbits can get ear mites just like cats. If you have ivomec (ivermectin) you can give it orally to the rabbits. They look like they're in poor condition which will make their coats rougher. Next time you see it try to pick it up and then keep it in a cage or run with a wire bottom. Two cages one for each of them. They will be much healthier and safer penned up with food water and a shelter then running around outside.
Aprille

It has been a while though I have caught one of the rabbit tonight. We will wait till tomorrow to check it out and everything but we were wondering if it is cruel to keep it after it has been wild for this long. Thanks

If it has been wild this long, it has developed the ability to survive. If you're comfortable picking it up, you might check if it is a buck or a doe. If it's a doe, you might want to let it go, as they hide their litters (only need to feed twice a day for about 5 minutes). You might be trying to adopt a mom who has kits. If you keep mom away from the kits, they will all die. Its been wild for 7 months now, right? I think it is kind for you to be concerned, but keep in mind an old rabbit in the wild lives to be only about 3-4 years old. Normal lifespan. Hope you don't mind my 2 cents here....I raised rabbits for some time and honestly, they don't do well on farms with chickens: they get coccidia and are unthrifty. That's my experience. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom