Streaming Netflix instead of Satellite or Cable TV?

I like Netflix streaming.... (Chooks DD)... Dont like cable. Why wait for the shows you like to come on regular tv? Or sit through the adds that are getting longer and longer and more frequent as the years go by.. not to mention louder and more obnoxious?

I'm much more into books than tv.. but this way when I want to watch something I can keep my sanity
tongue.png

I haven't had cable for years. If they want to start paying me to watch all those ads.....

Streaming Netflix has been awesome. I suspect it will become less awesome as its competitors decline, and then something else awesome will hopefully come along.

We started looking into this same thing not long ago. I decided(I'm the fams Chief Financial Officer) to cut our Satellite package as it had more than tripled in cost. Got them to lower it to a much more reasonable package but we lost ALOT of channels. I signed up for Netflix as soon as our highspeed came online. Found out one of our local stations here streams the news. And then there is Hulu. I think we are shutting the satellite off very soon. I pointed out to the kids that they aren't really watching it, and if we cut it off we could get a Roku and they could watch Netflix on the big screen. I personally have only watched the TV twice in the past few months. Its worth it in my opinion. Now to see how the kids do.

We just got Netflix this week, love it!

I've been watching movies I would never watch, just because there are no commercials! Adds irk me to no end, nothing in them relates to me, and they're preying on the stupidity of sheeple. "If you don't have an Iphone... you don't have..." whatever they end that with. For me, it would be "If you don't have an Iphone... you can't sit in your chicken coop and instantly upload videos of egg laying". Haha.

There is nothing on this planet that I need to be reminded about for 30 seconds every 15 minutes. Nothing. Don't care about the next new phone, 3d TV, airwick, swiffer, toaster strudels, pop tarts, what's going to be on next, or even an add for what I'm already watching. Really? Last night I watched a movie from 1954 and it was nice. Well written, good story line, no 15 minute long intimate scenes. And no commercials to make me aggravated.

I do believe we'll ditch cable and rely on hulu for new shows, or just not even care about them anymore. The commercials have just gotten insane, way too many. 9 times out of 10, the show isn't even worth the wait.

Anyone else notice the change in volume, getting louder, when the commercials start? My husband says they want you to be able to hear it when you go to the kitchen for a snack, since they know people leave the room during commercials.

We love netflix. We also have Dish netwok, but really could do away with almost all the dish channels except for the local and national news. I am a little put off at the news that netflix could possibly be raising their prices by 60%. I worries me that they are they only provider of this sort, so supply and demand might end up biting the consumer in the backside.

We have Directv and Netflix, but we did cancel Directv last month and they called us back and offered 300 dollars worth of credits if we'd keep them a little longer. So, as soon as the credits run out we'll be recanceling the Directv to keep the Netflix and Comcast internet.

Thank you everyone
smile.png
From the sounds of it, going with Netflix would be the best bet. Even if they do raise their prices 60%, it'd still be cheaper than DirecTV. I read somewhere that if they want to show the current tv shows the same week, it's like $70-100k per episode. I bet even if they raised their prices like that, people would pay to get the current shows.

What is a Roku??

Amazon has more new tv programming than Netflix, and might be a better deal if you shop online a lot. If you get a Prime membership most videos are free. If you don't care about the newer programming and mostly watch movies, Netflix is probably fine. You can see network shows on Hulu, too. We stream from the Wii or Playstation with all three.

Back
Top Bottom