Stress and Depression?

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
Lorpi is nearly 2 years old.
She lost her best buddy Astro today. I showed her her dead body and she seemed to look at it and move around it for a minute or two. After that she went into her coop and stayed there, with her feathers fluffed up.
I'm worried she may get under a lot of stress and also die of a heart attack like her best friend Astro.
2-3 weeks ago, her comb started getting flat and going down. She is getting overmated by the rooster a lot. She has already been showing signs of stress recently. I'm worried after Astro's death she might get worse...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-195211_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-195211_WhatsApp.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220519-195229_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-195229_WhatsApp.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 2
I saw your previous thread about Astro, sorry for your loss.

Yea, I would outright remove this rooster due to the overmating. Some roosters can handle themselves and not injure the girls, some are overzealous and the hens pay the price.

If you want to try a middle ground, at least set your rooster up in a separate pen for a week so everyone can heal. See how your hens do without him for a bit.

I saw your previous thread about Astro, sorry for your loss.

Yea, I would outright remove this rooster due to the overmating. Some roosters can handle themselves and not injure the girls, some are overzealous and the hens pay the price.

If you want to try a middle ground, at least set your rooster up in a separate pen for a week so everyone can heal. See how your hens do without him for a bit.
I will let my hens handle themselves for a week and separate the roo for a week. Thank you for your kind words. Staying strong is currently really hard for me since I lost my 3 dearest hens in 3 months, that too during my exams...
That would probably help. Roosters need more than four hens. Shoot for 8 at least. Roosters get busy with hens multiple times a day.
And we might bring in more hens because 4 are just not enough... I want my coop to be lively again...
Rehome the rooster if he's killing your hens.
Thank you all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom