Stressed, traumatized, rooster

Looking ahead, reintegrating him with your other rooster may be a real problem. If the other guy is actually a jerk, consider removing him, at least before this bird goes back to his flock.
Mary
Yes I thought of that. May have to put Jerry in with his own hens in another part. I’m sure it’s going to be a problem now that they have been separated. I just need to get him back to normal if it is possible. As long as he is willing to fight I’m willing to help him.

Thanks.
I have him in my closet at night. And I bring in the hen to him for a few hours. But if it will not hurt pulling her away from the others. Heck yeah. I’ll bring her in too. Jerry is now cleaning himself. 😃. I’ll feed him as long as it takes. Being retired I have all the time to spend with him. Thanks.
With the injured I get here, and I've had a lot, once they start grooming themselves again I get more optimistic for a full recovery.
Nervous system damage is repairable in many cases. I've had full on paralysis here and while it took a few months the two hens concerned did recover.
Good luck and please post his progress.

Yes and no. When he stands it seems norm. It’s when he starts to walk every thing goes backwards. Head neck chest pushed out. Feet go backwards. When he catches himself. He will walk forward lifting his feet up high. I’m going to have vet trim his spurs because he seems to be tripping on them.

Hello, new here. Hope I can get some advice.
18 days ago a mink got in my coop and killed 8 of my hens and left my 3 year old roster severely stressed and traumatized and probably shock.
I took him the the vet that day. He told me that the bird would most likely not make it through the night. Well he did. 😃. It’s been 18 days I took him back to vet last week. He gave antibiotics and special food. I have been force feeding him with feeding tub.
He is now starting to crow. He is standing and try’s to walk.
Here is what I need advice on. He is not eating on his own. He wants to. But all he can do is throw his head back. Walks backwards. He is trying to walk frontwards and takes high steps. He acts like He wants to peck at his food. But like does not remember how or something. I brought a hen in and they talked and the hen was cleaning him.
He wants to take food from my hand but it’s like his neck or eyes are not functioning proper. He goes back to the vet this week. But is there anything else I can do to bring him around to norm. He has come so far. He is a good roster. He comes by name (Jerry). He got along well with the other rooster. ( Jerk) cause he is a bit of a jerk. But he does try to protect the hens. Anyways. How can I get him to eat on his own. Or is shock something permanent damage.
Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Updating.... March 5, 2020.
Jerry is still with us. 😃❤️ He crowing, walking forward, and looking much better.
He is still not wanting to eat on his own. Vet says to let him get hungry and feed him feed with tweezers. Well that did not work. But he is starting to eat a little from palm of our hand. I’m tube feeding once a day right now. ( 6 tablespoons feed with adding electrolytes and vet says vitamins E ). He is still on antibiotics twice a day. He goes out to the coop with me while I feed the others and he actually went to the feed and started eating 🤞😃. He did not eat a lot but I was so excited. So he is spending a couple hours a day with the girls. ( other roster removed while he in in there).
But, we have not given up on him and he will have to give up before I do.
He goes back to vet on March 26th.

Back
Top Bottom