Stressful start with first time flock

Many, many thanks to all who gave advice and helped us become a safe, healthy stress free flock. My gratitude is immeasurable.

These ladies decided they like sunbathing on the upper deck. I turned on the light near, but not in the brooder to warm up the ambient temperature in the area for a little while. They seem to like it.
They don't need the light. They jump up there to explore. give them a branch to roost on. They will go under the brooder plate when they need a warmup. Also, make sure you raise the legs on the brooder plate as they grow. If they are flattening themselves under it, they need more room.

I started my first mini flock last spring in a plastic tote with a MHP. They outgrew it in less than a week. I decided to just duct tape a bunch of boxes together to make about a 4X5' box with a hardware cloth "lid", I kept the bathroom window opened from sunup to sunset. I let them out during the day after about a week in a large wire dog pen. They feathered in quickly so I put them in their coop at 4 weeks, honestly I couldn't wait to get my bathroom back!

Definitely trial and error......

They don't need the light. They jump up there to explore. give them a branch to roost on. They will go under the brooder plate when they need a warmup. Also, make sure you raise the legs on the brooder plate as they grow. If they are flattening themselves under it, they need more room.
Thanks! We have the Brinsea on the middle height now. I'm slightly worried my littlest 2 are warm enough, but the rest won't fit otherwise. They all snuggle under there at night so I think they're ok. We did add a branch for roosting over the weekend and added a second crate. They seem happier with more space.

We used a dog crate with hardware mesh to keep the chicks from escaping out of the crate and then after seeing an article from @Blooie about using Press-n-Seal on the bottom half (and wrapping underneath) we added that to the brooder which made clean up SO MUCH EASIER. It kept all the shavings inside the brooder instead of all over my floor. I was so thankful to not have to sweep up shavings and chick poo 3 or more times a day. We also used a heat lamp which I know is a debatable source of heat, but worked for us. Good luck with your new adventure! :)

We used a dog crate with hardware mesh to keep the chicks from escaping out of the crate and then after seeing an article from @Blooie about using Press-n-Seal on the bottom half (and wrapping underneath) we added that to the brooder which made clean up SO MUCH EASIER. It kept all the shavings inside the brooder instead of all over my floor. I was so thankful to not have to sweep up shavings and chick poo 3 or more times a day. We also used a heat lamp which I know is a debatable source of heat, but worked for us. Good luck with your new adventure! :)

Thank you! We did put a perimeter of 8" high corrugated plastic sheet around the inside bottom of the dog crates - we have two linked together now so they have more space to play. @Blooie is a genius with the press and seal! I have been using it on the top of my Brinsea - it's fantastic for easy clean up. I'm still using newspaper with paper towels over it - so cleaning hasn't been too bad -but did get a pack of pine shavings to start using. I have never used more paper towels - or washed my hands so much in my life.

Thank you! We did put a perimeter of 8" high corrugated plastic sheet around the inside bottom of the dog crates - we have two linked together now so they have more space to play. @Blooie is a genius with the press and seal! I have been using it on the top of my Brinsea - it's fantastic for easy clean up. I'm still using newspaper with paper towels over it - so cleaning hasn't been too bad -but did get a pack of pine shavings to start using. I have never used more paper towels - or washed my hands so much in my life.

Um, <gulp>. After the kind words I almost hate to say this, but I don’t think I’d ever put Press’n’Seal directly on a commercial heating plate. They get warmer than a heating pad and I don’t know if the residue from the adhesive would eventually cause issues. When I use it, I put it on a small, threadbare, throwaway towel over the pad so there’s a disposable surface between the Seal and the pad itself. Now that said, if it’s working for you and you are comfortable doing it, hey, great! I just didn’t want someone coming back later saying “I put Press’n’Seal on my heating plate and it melted and ruined it.” :oops:

Um, <gulp>. After the kind words I almost hate to say this, but I don’t think I’d ever put Press’n’Seal directly on a commercial heating plate. They get warmer than a heating pad and I don’t know if the residue from the adhesive would eventually cause issues. When I use it, I put it on a small, threadbare, throwaway towel over the pad so there’s a disposable surface between the Seal and the pad itself. Now that said, if it’s working for you and you are comfortable doing it, hey, great! I just didn’t want someone coming back later saying “I put Press’n’Seal on my heating plate and it melted and ruined it.” :oops:

Oh no worries - I only put it on the exterior top surface which does not get hot. But because it is "up high" for chicks to hang out up top, they like to do that, and consequently there is always poop on it. For this application- the press and seal is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom