Stressful start with first time flock

This whole 95 degrees and 5 degrees less per week thing was definitely a stumbling point for me.
Yeah, that only counts for using lamps and even then it's silly. Go by behaviors...which takes some practice.

So much more learning curve than I expected
It's huge!
Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

I can't believe how many plastic tote brooders are recommended - they literally seem to be everywhere on Pinterest, bloggers recommend them etc. And for us it was a nightmare. It definitely was not clear to me that the chicks would be fine with indoor room temperatures and just needed the Brinsea as a place to go for warmth when needed. This whole 95 degrees and 5 degrees less per week thing was definitely a stumbling point for me. Thing was, I had a thermometer in the brooder and it was registering in the 80-85 degree range but was still too hot for the chicks overall. I definitely think it was the lack of ventilation - because in the brooding room at Jersey Chickens it was tropical hot - and those birds all seemed to be doing ok.

So much more learning curve than I expected - and I truly felt I had taken the time to learn and understand before getting chicks. Thanks for your post - I appreciate knowing I'm not the only one who learned this lesson the hard way.
You clearly gave it the old college try, learning before buying.
The learning curve isn't nearly as steep for those of us who grew up on farms with all manner of livestock. Even though chicken husbandry is second nature, I'm constantly learning. I've been teaching poultry classes for almost 10 years at community colleges, poultry conferences, slow food, botanical garden, humane society, gateway greening, etc.. As I continue to learn, I've rewritten my booklet handouts several times because I no longer believe some of the things I noted just a decade ago.
I think the totes are recommended with the assumption that they're easily cleaned and reusable. But, overheating, insufficient ventilation, slick bottom and inability to expand are the drawbacks.
Most of what I do with chicks is to try and replicate what a mother hen does. She can't heat all the ambient air to 90F. She provides a warm up spot under her and most of the time the chicks are running around regardless of temperature. If they get chilled, they run under her for a bit and then back to running around in the cold fresh air and sunlight. That is much healthier for them and I believe they feather out faster.
When brooding large numbers of chicks (50-100), I use an Ohio brooder with ceramic emitters in an outbuilding. That provides a warm spot and lots of cool space around the brooder. I now mostly brood smaller numbers (5-20). For that I use a Premier1 heat plate in cardboard boxes. Large moving boxes from Lowe's are about $1.50 and an ideal size. If the conditions aren't conducive for moving them outside in a timely manner, you can just add boxes as needed by cutting doorways between them.
When that batch of chicks is done, you can compost the boxes - feces, bedding and all.

I now mostly brood smaller numbers (5-20). For that I use a Premier1 heat plate in cardboard boxes. Large moving boxes from Lowe's are about $1.50 and an ideal size. If the conditions aren't conducive for moving them outside in a timely manner, you can just add boxes as needed by cutting doorways between them.
When that batch of chicks is done, you can compost the boxes - feces, bedding and all.

Thanks! I realize I'm going to need a bigger habitat for them very soon - I like the idea of the boxes - I can move them out onto my enclosed porch in that setup and the Brinsea heat plate. I don't really have an indoor space big enough for them after they outgrow the dog crate. And since I'm only **technically** allowed 6 chickens by ordinance, I don't really want to build a more permanent setup either. Their chicken mansion should be delivered by around Memorial Day too.

I feel for you as I was going to swear off buying anymore chicks after loosing a couple. The greater that live and thrive are worth the unfortunate babies that don't. I am looking into actually mail ordering some now, try to keep your head up and look at the positive!

I feel for you as I was going to swear off buying anymore chicks after loosing a couple. The greater that live and thrive are worth the unfortunate babies that don't. I am looking into actually mail ordering some now, try to keep your head up and look at the positive!
Thanks. It's hard not to feel sad for the lost ones. I was so frustrated about figuring out what I was doing wrong. This group has been a huge help. I got mine locally (50 miles away) The whole mailing chicks freaks me out.

Thanks. It's hard not to feel sad for the lost ones. I was so frustrated about figuring out what I was doing wrong. This group has been a huge help. I got mine locally (50 miles away) The whole mailing chicks freaks me out.
I beat myself up over what I did wrong too trust me it wasn't easy loosing them. People on here have eased my mind about mail ordering, and it's no garantee hand picking them out of a bin either lol.

Many, many thanks to all who gave advice and helped us become a safe, healthy stress free flock. My gratitude is immeasurable.

These ladies decided they like sunbathing on the upper deck. I turned on the light near, but not in the brooder to warm up the ambient temperature in the area for a little while. They seem to like it.

Back
Top Bottom