Stretching neck?

Acamp68

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2018
Ludowici, ga
I noticed today after filling my chickens food up that one chicken in particular was stretching/open mouthed after taking a mouthful and kind of made an outward gasping sound? He has no outward sign of infection, clear eyes, no discharge from nose or mouth. I didn’t notice it at all yesterday either. I’m curious if I should start treating the flock for some sort of respiratory illness now or if maybe sometimes chickens just do this? There’s only 4, they’re about 9 weeks old. If I should start treating, what should I treat for because everything I’ve read said it could be anything and there’s no way to know unless they’re tested. I’m new at this so I apologize if this has been asked 10,000 times already!

Thank you! That makes me feel better. I did pick him up and he had a big ol piece of egg in his mouth! But it was clear he wasn’t choking, it was kinda just sitting there, like he was patiently waiting for me to put him down so he could swallow

I noticed today after filling my chickens food up that one chicken in particular was stretching/open mouthed after taking a mouthful and kind of made an outward gasping sound? He has no outward sign of infection, clear eyes, no discharge from nose or mouth. I didn’t notice it at all yesterday either. I’m curious if I should start treating the flock for some sort of respiratory illness now or if maybe sometimes chickens just do this? There’s only 4, they’re about 9 weeks old. If I should start treating, what should I treat for because everything I’ve read said it could be anything and there’s no way to know unless they’re tested. I’m new at this so I apologize if this has been asked 10,000 times already!
They may be eating to fast. Just watch closely

Yes they have grit in there as well. He’s still doing it today. Still no outward signs of any kind of infection, eyes, nose all clear. He definitely sounds wheezy. I picked him and and listened to his chest, I don’t hear anything necessarily phlegmy? but I can hear the wheeze in his chest...

I would have to look around. I would assume so because we’re in a pretty country area outside of Savannah but I do not have one that we currently go to

Back
Top Bottom