Strictly pet chickens! Anyone??

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Wallingford, CT
I would love to hear from people who keep their chickens (all of them, not just certain ones!) strictly as pets (with the added benefit of eggs!) and who let them live out their entire lives and die naturally unless ill or injured, in which case, humanely euthanized and NOT eaten...like any other pet, be it a dog, cat, ferret, cockatoo or whatever. So far I've done tons of browsing and haven't really found anyone else. I'm not sure if this is the right place for me. I'm easily upset by a lot of things I've read
sad.png

It would be nice to at least have someone who shares my views!!

There are some other forums online that have lots of pet-chicken people, and I do know that there are at least a couple of people here who keep their chickens as house-pets.

I, personally, sit on the fence. My chickens are pets -- well loved, handled, cared for, etc -- but in spite of a background in animal rescue (background my ass -- still doing it) I have no problem with eating them.

Our chickens will probably be strictly for egg production and pets. I don't see myself or my husband slaughtering them and eating them. It's just not in us.

We're not hunters either. But I won't begrudge the ones who do it
especially in todays ecomony.

We also have ducks that we'll use the eggs to eat but won't eat them either. We also have parrots, dogs, cats.

Will we change our mind? I don't know but for right now, our chickens are pets that will provide us with eggs, not meat.

Laurie

I'm getting some unsexed chicks and am so worried I'm going to get all roos. I don't know how I'll handle that cause I want pets with egg benefits.
smile.png
I know I won't be able to have many roos but I know I can't do the deed. Thank goodness for husbands.

We too have chicks, ducks and guineas for pets as well as eggs. Our kids would never let us eat any one of our pets. I think that's why I name them as soon as possible. I too couldn't bring myself to eat anything I've named. (Though we've joked about it often).

Eggsellent! Haha
smile.png

I completely understand that what's right for one couldn't be more wrong for another. This is something that could not possibly be anymore wrong for me. I gave up meat at the tender age of nine (by my own choice, nobody else in my immediate family is vegetarian) and it makes me violent, ill, crazy, and practically hysterical to think about ever hacking off the head of a beloved pet. It makes me vomit to think about eating a beloved pet. The way I see my dogs and cats is the same way I see my pet rats and it will be the same way I see my chickens. That is just MY personal mentality. To each his own.

I am VERY happy to see so many people not supporting factory farming, though!!!!

Our chickens are pets as well. We wouldn't eat them, but I do have to say we would most certainly cull if there was a problem, especially if the chicken was very ill, or in constant pain. There are not a lot of vets who do poultry, and an animal who is suffering shouldn't be made to continue just because it's owner can't bear to let it go. I would do the same for my cat or the dogs, if the time came that they were in constant pain.

My chickens are pets. They are not allowed in the house, though (they had their chance as babies). Whenever we have guests in the backyard, everyone asks me to let the girls out - seems regular city folk realize that watching chickens peck and graze is pretty relaxing... I will cull if injury or illness requires, but we won't eat them. Probably wouldn't taste very good at this point anyways.

We won't be eating the chicks we're raising now. If we ever raise chickens for meat I will get cornish x so they'll be ugly and all look alike... hopefully then I won't be bothered as much by it.

Back
Top Bottom