Stripped Feathers?

tottrotters

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2019
Montana
My chicken has stripped feathers on her wings and back. I have thoroughly checked her over for mites/lice and have found no signs of any pest. I kept an eye on her and my other two hens to see if any bullying took place and none had. There were times where it looked like she was cleaning her feathers with her beak but nothing that looked harsh enough to be ripping her feathers. My only guess is that she is indeed the one doing it to herself, as we have no rooster. Has anyone experienced this or know what the cause could be? They are free range on about four acres, usually very busy looking for bugs and not cooped up bored. The other two are just fine and have all feathers intact. Please see pictures for further detail.
Also, she finished molting about a month ago and had all normal feathering.

Attachments

• Winnie 1.jpg
    Winnie 1.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Winnie 2.jpg
    Winnie 2.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 20
Did she do a full body molt? Did she replace those wing feathers? They could just be getting old.

I don't think she did do a full body, I remember seeing is mostly take place on her neck and chest area. Maybe you are right, I will keep an eye out for new growth.

Some hens go through a partial neck molt in the spring, so that's may be what you have seen. Feathers get old and do degrade over time. I will assume come fall she will molt out fully and replace the old with new ones. From this point forward my chickens will continue to look more worn as far as feather condition as we work our way through summer, especially the hens who put all their body reserves into egg production.

Back
Top Bottom